Vol.16 Ch.20: Ronald's Suggestion

The third game between Stratus and the Leopards kicked off.

"Dang, are ya sure this lineup gonna be ok?" Luke asked for the hundredth time. "I mean, we don't have that OOMPH we had last time, ya know?"

"You're right, we don't," Yuel agreed. "This is a more balanced lineup, so we'll have to play accordingly. We can't go for overwhelming plays as easily."

"But, ain't that a waste? We did so well in the last game because we were pushing offense real hard."

"I know, but I didn't want to give them the opportunity to counter-pick us too hard," Yuel explained. "The classes that focus too much on offense are often susceptible to counter-picks, so I had to play around that."

"Indeed, as expected from the one and only Chessmaster!" Vincent made noise. "He takes into account considerations that we, mere mortals, have no chance of figuring for ourselves!"

"Actually, knowing that you have to play around counter picks is kindergarten-level stuff," Kai retorted. "But, knowing how to do it right is the real challenge. Honestly, I'm also not sold on this lineup working out. Like, it looks alright for the most part, but it also got DK."

"Hey, hey, hey!" Luke exclaimed. "Did I hear you throw shade at my DK?"

"Yeah, I sure did. If not for your dumb DK, our lineup would've looked solid."

"Dang, the disrespect." Luke shook his head. "And you still dare to say that even after I put on such an awesome performance last game, huh. I guess no matter how many opponents I beat, you boomers never gonna recognize memes."

"We won that game because Yuel somehow knew how to pilot that quirky lineup," Kai said. "But, I doubt any of that gonna fly again, unless you plan to prove me wrong, Yuel?"

"It's hard to say," Yuel admitted. "This lineup is an experiment of sorts. All I can say is that I did run some simulations about piloting a 'balanced' team along with Dark Knight, but it's hard to say how any of that theory will hold in practice. In the first place, anything related to Dark Knight feels like a coin toss."

"Yo, dude!" Lars called out. "That's not what you're supposed to be saying to the team. You gotta tell 'em this lineup rocks and that we gonna win for sure, believe it!"

"I'm just saying the truth."

"That 'truth' thingy of yours ain't raising anybody's morale. We gotta believe we gonna win, yo! I mean, if we don't believe in ourselves, then who will?"

"Right..." Yuel smiled wryly. "Well, I've never been good at pep talk and whatnot. The only reassuring thing I can say is that I did my homework on using a balanced lineup along with a Dark Knight. Perhaps I didn't research that variation as much as I did the aggressive one, but nonetheless, I have some ideas for this game."

"Hmmmmmmm." Lars made a long, judging noise. "Lukewarm! Still not hype enough."

"Well, I'm not you. I can't produce hype out of thin air."

"Haha, okay fine. I guess this is good for now." Lars nodded. "So, are ya pumped up for this game, my dudes?!"

"My body is ready!" Luke pumped a fist. "This game gonna be 'Total Annihilation Round 2 - Electric Boogaloo', just you watch!"

"Indeed, indeed!" Vincent buffed the hype. "We also mustn't forget that our foes uncharacteristically picked a handful of aggressive classes for this game. This should mean that penetrating through their defenses shall be easier than ever!"

I wish I could promise random nonsense like that with such confidence. Yuel sighed. But honestly, I can't tell how this game will go at all. But, we're already here, so I have to make the most out of this team. So, offense, defense, or anything in between - I'll make it work.