Vol.18 Ch.20: Countering the Invisible Phantom

Here she comes. Jin nodded as his trusty ward revealed Vanishing approaching the middle entrance of the lane. He had a feeling that this was bound to happen as he kept overextending, so he placed a ward in that area after the third minion wave.

In a vacuum, this was a very meta warding spot. However, since his teammates were so anxious about Vanishing's stealth, they warded the jungle so extensively that Jin's ward was overkill.

Case in point, the other wards had exposed Vanishing's position twice before she even reached Jin's ward. So, many would argue that his ward was worthless.

At least, amateurs would probably think so. Jin reasoned. But, this particular ward has additional uses.

Even though it wasn't a Stealth Ward, it nonetheless captured the moment when Vanishing activated her Phantasm and went invisible, which was just as telling. From there, it was easy to predict the rest of her movements.

She might be an amateur, but I'm sure even she knows how to take the shortest path toward the lane. Jin thought. So, she'll enter the lane from right around the corner.

The jungle entrance wasn't very wide, but at least two-and-a-half players could fit through it. So normally, the chance of randomly hitting an invisible opponent who was approaching from the entrance was less than 50%.

However, by assuming that the girl will stick to the wall in order to shorten the travel distance, Jin could land a hit on this elusive target with over 90% accuracy. In practice, his success was all but guaranteed.

It should be about now. Jin stopped pushing and backpedaled toward the jungle. Yes, instead of running away from the incoming jungler, Jin was going to give that Drow a warm greeting!

And... now! Jin unleashed Scourge, lashing out with a thorny metal whip! His target was the right side of the jungle entrance.

At first glance, Jin looked like a madman swinging at nothing. However, Vanishing was definitely there, he could tell.

The metallic whip cracked and a clash resounded. Then, Vanishing manifested on the lane, stunned both physically and mentally.

"... eh?" Nia blinked. "Wut? Just... eh?" For a moment, she forgot how speech even worked. Her mind shot-circuited on the spot.

I... I was invisible, right? I definitely was, right? Nia started doubting everything. H-Hax! I call hax! This is some scary Korean hacking!

Nonsensical thoughts like that spiraled in her head as she watched the Orc raise his scourge once again. She was completely helpless against this second attack and it was going to hurt a ton!

WHISH! The scourge assaulted her again, deleting 20% of her HP! It was brutal damage, the kind only a super scary class like Orc could dish out in the early-game.

W-What do I do!? Nia shuddered. She wanted to ask for help or advice, but was there even any time!? She was going to die at this rate!

"Oh, no!" Ben exclaimed in the distance. "I-I'll help!"

Somehow, that didn't sound very reassuring. In fact, his shaky voice implied he was just as anxious as Nia was, if not more.

I-I don't think is going to work out. Nia gulped. I have to run!

Even though this was technically a 2v1 situation, it didn't feel like it in the slightest. Nia and Ben were too far apart to gang up on Apprentece.

The original prediction was that Apprentece will keep chasing Ben further in, and that's where Nia will show up to stab the guy from behind. But instead, Apprentece struck first and forced the fight to happen way earlier than that.