Vol.18 Ch.8: Dancing Around the Orc Pick

So, Cato went for it. Yuel frowned as he looked at the enemy's third ban. I see. They rather ban Ninja than Elf.

Elf was supposed to be a huge threat to the Leopards, given how it was Lars's third-best class. And yet, it seemed Cato didn't register Elf as banworthy.

Maybe it's in part because Merlin can play Elf, too. Yuel theorized. Instead of banning Elf, they can deny us the class by picking it. Then again, they surely won't go for Elf as their first pick, so they're essentially saying they're fine with Lars playing Elf.

This was unfortunate. If the Leopards feared Lars's Elf as much as they feared Trickshooter and Gunslinger, then all three of their bans would have been constantly predetermined. In that scenario, Stratus wouldn't have to worry about any other class being banned in the first phase, like Nia's Ninja.

Even most interestingly, this would've put the Leopards in a difficult spot when going second. They'd be forced to choose between banning Elf and banning Shadow Walker.

Alas, Lars's Elf didn't deliver the necessary impact. The enemy probably recognized it as "strong", but not banworthy enough. It was a huge missed opportunity.

But, no use crying over spilled milk. Yuel thought. This is our current situation, so we have to deal with it.

It was time for the third and last ban of this phase. However, Yuel didn't have any solid ideas in mind. He severely lacked information regarding Apprentece's playstyle, so it was impossible to come up with good bans against the biggest threat.

According to Howard's intel, Apprentece played Knight and Viking during the pro scrim. These were standard picks that didn't say much.

I guess I should focus on the other players instead. Yuel concluded. But, even that's difficult. I don't know for sure which roles they'll play.

Thanks to the Leopards' Mixup strategy, they could adjust the players' roles on the fly. Therefore, it was impossible to guess how they'll choose to play the upcoming game.

Merlin is the best target for bans, but do I target him as a Mid or as a Carry? There was insufficient data to reach a conclusion.

After examining various angles, Yuel ultimately settled on banning Warlock. Out of all the classes Merlin exhibited to date, it certainly felt like his most comfortable one. Alas...

"Bzzzt! Wrong lane!" Cato giggled menacingly. "He's in Bot, not Mid."

But, of course, the poor lad had no way of deducing this. After all, Yuel had absolutely no idea what he was going up against.

And, I'd like to keep him in the dark for as long as possible~ Cato enjoyed every moment of this. And, though he disagreed with Jin's requested pick, he couldn't deny that it'll be amusing to see Stratus' shocked expressions when they see Orc.

But first, let's tease them more. No harm in stretching this out for a little longer~ Cato smiled impishly. "As I said, I'm fine with the Orc pick and the fact you don't want to ban any specific counters. Buuuuuut I don't want to pick Orc as our first class, if you don't mind."

"Sure." Jin shrugged. "It's correct decision. Unnecessary in this match, but correct."

"I'm glad we're on the same page for once."

Picking Orc early would give the enemy plenty of opportunities to come up with counters. Though, admittedly, a part of Cato wanted to see that happen.

One of these days, somebody will have to kick this 'Emperor' off the high horse. Cato thought. But, I don't want it to be Yuel, and I definitely don't want it to happen today. This is one game I don't plan on losing, no matter what.

The Leopards had already disgraced themselves enough today. It was time to score a big win and restore their reputation back to normal!

"Let's wrap up this game nice and clean, alright?" Cato addressed everybody. "I'm sure some of you may still disapprove of the Orc pick, including myself, but we have to move on and adapt."

"Well," William started. "If you can move past it, then anybody here should be able to. After all, this pick mainly goes against your favorite playstyle."

"My, is that do? I didn't realize." Cato smiled meaningfully. Not sure if he intended it, but nice follow-up.

Indeed, the Orc pick caused the most trouble for Cato's defensive game plan. Therefore, he had the strongest reason to object to this turn of events. So, if he was saying he was fine with it, then everybody should be as well, as William claimed.

"So, with that decided," Cato continued. "Will, do you mind picking Viking?"

"Fine by me."

"Great. I'd like to pick it as our first class."

"Go ahead."

And, so the Leopards' first pick was Viking, a misleading pick that was indistinguishable from a legit Top class. On top of that, Viking had plenty of synergy with Orc, so Jin and Will should be able to wreak havoc together... provided they'll choose to cooperate.

Next, it was Startus' turn to pick.

Viking, huh. Yuel thought. It's one of Winner's favorite classes it seems, but it might also be a Top Laner. Hmm. A nice and tricky first pick, as usual.

It was impossible to make any strong deductions based on this pick, which was exactly what a good first pick should strive to achieve. Yuel would have liked to go for the same effect with his first two picks, alas his hands were tied.

"I'll pick Elf and Drow, is that alright?" Yuel confirmed with Lars and Nia.

"Okey-dokey!"

"Ok."

Naturally, there were no objections. After all, these were the best classes they had available at the moment.

And so, Yuel picked the two elves. Next, it was the Leopards' turn to select two classes.

Playing it safe, I see. Cato smiled impishly. Honestly, I don't see Will playing Drow even if I asked him to, but Matt would've happily snatched Elf if he had the opportunity.

Yuel's swift, defensive picks were on point. Now, it was Cato's turn to secure picks.

"I was thinking Aeromancer."

"Same," Sonya agreed. "It's very defensive, but it also brings enough utility to team fights, so it can reinforce aggressive team plays."

"Indeed, indeed." Cato nodded. I knew she'd like this pick. But, does she realize the hidden benefits this pick has for this drafting phase? Let's see how Yuel deals with this~

"As for the Carry," Cato continued. "What do you think, Matt? I don't suppose you want Seraph again, do you?"

"Nah." Matthew shook his head. "Looks like we're going more balanced this game."

"True, that's how the lineup is shaping up."

"So, Pirate will work better, I feel."

"Yes, I was thinking the same."

Unlike the Hyper Carry that was Seraph, Pirate was a well-rounded class. It did take its sweet time getting online, but it was plenty strong already in the mid-game.

Well, that's assuming the mid-game will even be relevant. Cato smiled impishly. Jin just might outright destroy them in the early-game~ It sounds unreal, but I wouldn't put it past the Emperor.

With that, the next two picks were decided: Aeromancer and Pirate. They were two all-rounders who meshed well with a defensive game plan while having the tools to aid Jin's aggressive shenanigans.

Next was Stratus' final pick before the second banning phase...

-------------------------------------------------------------/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Don't forget to vote if you liked the chapter!