Vol.16 Ch.9: Ben's Treat

As Luke entered the waiting room, a mountain of sandwiches greeted him! It was like a party over there!

"Whoa!" Luke exclaimed. "Where did all this stuff come from?"

"It's Ben's treat," Yuel informed, already with a sandwich in hand.

"Wow, you're da man, Ben!" Luke flashed a smile and rifled through the big selection of sandwiches. "Dang, there are sure lots of options here!"

"Um, I wasn't sure what everybody likes," Ben explained. "So, I brought different flavors just in case."

"Man, this is sure a lot!" The more sandwiches Luke checked out, the more he came to realize the sheer absurdity of these numbers. There were at least 15 sandwiches here, and that's after everybody else have already grabbed a sandwich or two for themselves.

"How did you even bring all of them here?"

"Um, in the backpack."

"Oh, right. Such a boring answer that makes perfect sense." Luke wasn't even sure what he was expecting there. For some reason, he imagined a helicopter that came outta nowhere and rained this huge mountain of sandwiches on them, but reality was often disappointing

"Well then, I'mma grab this one, and this, and this!"

"Don't stuff yourself with too much food," Yuel warned. "Eating too much at once will tire you out."

"Okay, mom." Luke chuckled as he hoarded the three sandwiches that caught his eye.

For now, he was content with just claiming ownership over these treats. Whether or not he'll gobble all of them at once was a different story.

I do be hungry, tho. Luke realized that only now, with the food in front of him. So, I think I gonna have at least two of these bad boys!

He unwrapped the first sandwich and stuffed it into his mouth. Hell, it was pretty dang good!

"Mwan, thfese arwe hwella fwine!" Luke produced something that vaguely resembled human speech as he munched on the sandwiches.

These sandwiches were legit good! They looked like your run-of-the-mill sandwiches, but something about them was real gud!

Am I so hungry that simple sandwiches suddenly taste like some serious gourmet shit? Luke wondered. Nah, no way. These are legit goooood. Like, the tuna itself feels like the regular stuff I think, but this bread is like thicc and soft. So munchy!

"This is indeed a splendid work of food craft!" Vincent joined in on the hype. "Ben, are you the master chef who crafted these fine pieces of art?"

"Not all of them," Ben said. "My mom helped out. Honestly, I think we got a little carried away..." He scratched his pink cheek.

His mom always insisted that "boys have to eat a lot in order to grow up", and Ben also felt like he had to repay the club for everything they had done for him. So, together, this duo of mother and son ended up producing way more food than necessary.

"How did you even stuff so many sandwiches in one bag?" Kai asked. "Wasn't it heavy?"

"Um, a little heavy, yes. But, it wasn't a big deal."

"You should've told us, dude," Lars said. "We would've helped ya carry all the goodies."

"Um, it's okay. I didn't want to bother anybody. Besides, I'm the one who decided to bring them in the first place."

"That doesn't matter," Kai said sternly. "You brought the sandwiches for the club so you should've asked us for help."

Frankly, she was probably the last person who had the right to lecture others about asking for help, she understood that as well. But, precisely because she was bad at asking others for help and have been working hard on this front, she felt obligated to lecture Ben about this.