Vol.17 Ch.20: Sonya's Slipping Supervising

"Attention, everybody," Cato spoke up. "We're about to enter the mid-game."

"What is this, a metro station announcement?" Ronald laughed. "Bruh, we all know that."

"I'm glad you do," Cato said. "Anyway, my point is that the game will become less predictable going forward. So, keeping track of Vanishing will become that much harder."

"........" Sonya didn't say anything but she pushed her glasses in displeasure. There was no intended personal attack in that statement, but she probably translated it as such. After all, she was the one who was supposed to keep track of Vanishing's movements in this game, but she messed up and put Ronald in danger.

"Our builds are already halfway done," Cato said. "So, we can start sparing some cash for Stealth Wards."

"Are Stealth Wards really going to help?" William asked. "It sounds like a waste of resources, one that I can't afford."

"I understand your concern." Cato nodded. "The lack of kills did hurt your income a little."

"It hurt it a lot, actually. My build is half an item behind where it should be, and that's after I lowered the number of wards I've been buying recently."

"My, did you just admit that you're part of the reason why Vanishing has been having such an easy time slipping past our radars recently?"

"Don't try to pin this on me," William retorted. "We still had plenty of wards in Top Jungle back then. Vanishing just managed to slip by them, that's not my fault."

"Indeed, indeed." Cato nodded. "It was mainly the fault of the one who failed to deliver the periodic report about Vanishing's activities."

"Guh..." Sonya groaned but still didn't say anything.

Knowing Cato, he was probably dancing around the topic on purpose to take indirect jabs at Sonya. It was just his way of "having fun" or something. What an asshole.

"Anyway, Will," Cato continued. "I understand that you feel like you're falling behind in terms of farm."

"I don't just 'feel it'. It's a fact."

"It's only a 'fact' compared to your high expectations," Cato explained. "You're too used to matches in which you score kills before mid-game, so your perception of how much gold you should have is skewed. The only 'fact' I see here is that you won't get early kills that often against the really good teams."

"Hmph. You're talking as if the early-game usually has zero kills."

"Yes, that's almost always the case when it's a game between two defensive teams," Cato said. "The mid-game is where things will start going down for real. So, to be ready for it, it's best to have a Stealth Wards at hand."

"I already have one," Sonya interjected.

"My, what a good girl~!" Cato smiled. "But, so that you know, sucking up to me isn't going to score you any points right now. We're still going to have a nice and loooong chat very soon~"

"Geh..." Sonya growled. As she expected, her trial was not canceled, only postponed.

"I don't see much point in stacking Stealth Wards, honestly," William said. "It's clear that Vanishing is good at sneaking past wards, so expecting a couple of Stealth Wards to catch her specifically during stealth... it sounds unlikely, honestly."

"You make a good point," Cato agreed. "If it was just about Vanishing, then I probably wouldn't bother talking about this. But, they also have a Warlock."

"Hmm. Fair enough."

While Ninja had the ability to turn itself invisible, Warlock could turn all nearby allies invisible. As such, it was always nice to have a Stealth Ward at hand, just in case.