Vol.18 Ch.2: Ronald's Misplaced Good Intentions

"Matt, you haven't talked much in this meeting," Rodriguez said. "Do you mind answering Ron's question? Tell us what was the big difference between how Ron and Will played."

Do I have to? Matthew made a face. What a drag...

But, orders were orders. Matthew more or less understood where the coach was going with this, so yes, he could answer. It was just a pain to do so.

"William cooperated with the team's defense plan for the most part, and he also got some kills along the way," Matthew said. "Meanwhile, Ronald just... did whatever he wanted, basically. Sometimes he went along with the plan, other times he did the complete opposite and disregarded his safety."

"Correct, that about sums it up." Rodriguez nodded. "Ron, you said that following the team's plan was the 'mature' thing to do, but it seems like your inner brat took over midway. You couldn't stay 'mature' for the entire game"

"I dunno, I think I was pretty mature about how I did things," Ronald insisted.

"Does having more deaths than kills count as 'mature' in your eyes?"

"Geh." Ronald groaned but didn't concede just yet. "T-That's just how things turned out in this one game, yeah. But, next game will be different for sure...!"

"I believe nothing exemplifies your bratty behavior better than the desperate attack you launched on Vanishing while she was deep inside enemy territory. That was the epitome of your recklessness."

"But hey, I got the kill!"

"And, you also died, if I recall."

"Ugh..." Ronald lowered his head for a moment but soon bounced back. "But, that kill was totally necessary, right? I mean, I took down that darn Vanishing, of all people! She was the biggest thorn at our side the entire game."

"That was just your way of getting revenge for all the times you were forced to retreat in the lane because of her, wasn't it?"

"Maaaaaybe~" Ronald rolled his eyes up. "I mean, she has been giving trouble to the entire team, right? Like, she's the main reason we had to stay on guard all the time."

"Yes, it seems she did play a major role in that decision," Rodriguez said. "Isn't that right?"

"Yes, it is," Cato affirmed.

"Right?" Ronald nodded. "So, I had to take her down and give us some freedom. I did it for the team!"

"Or, so you say," Cato interjected. "I'm pretty sure you just wanted to sate your own bloodthirst."

"Nah, bruh. I totally did it for the team! I had to free us all from that suffering!"

"But, as I told you before, Vanishing's threat level was going down as the game went on," Cato explained. "The closer we all stuck together, the harder it was for her to get any kills."

"Hmm. Yeah, that makes sense to me."

"But, remind me, what did you do instead of sticking with the team?" Cato asked. "Oh, that's right, you dove headfirst into enemy territory in order to fight Vanishing."

"For freedom and justice!"

"For brainless self-satisfaction, more like. You completely disregarded our entire game plan with that one play."

"Yeah, well, I guess it was a little extreme, haha." Ronald laughed dryly. "But hey, I got the kill! It's the only kill we ever got on her!"

"I did kill her once in a team fight," Willaim corrected.

"Oh right, you did, bro." Ronald nodded. "But, anyway! Mine was the first kill we got on that dang ghost! It was a game-changer!"

"No, it wasn't," Cato said matter-of-factly. "We just traded one-for-one."