Vol.18 Ch.29: The Will to Continue Fighting

Yuel took most of the blame upon himself for the situation in Top, but the others didn't quite agree.

Nia shifted her eyes from side to side. Should I say something? I feel like I should, but I don't know what...

After all, Nia wasn't an alien robot with 200 IQ, so she didn't fully understand all the considerations Yuel had to take for that shot-call even after he tried to explain them. Nonetheless, there was one thing she DID know for sure.

I almost had that scary Orc. If I just did everything in the right order, then I should've gotten the kill. Yeah, I'm almost sure of it.

She felt like she was just as responsible as Yuel about this failure, if not more. But of course, it wasn't something she wanted to admit. Not openly, at least.

I'll just make up for it by killing the Orc next time. Nia decided. H-He's super scary, but I'll pull it off! Probably. Yeah...

Apprentece was the most terrifying adversary Nia had faced to date. And yet, more than being scared, she was determined to slay this monster.

What is this weird feeling, I wonder? Nia had no idea how to explain any of this illogical stuff. Even though she should've been scared shitless, she found herself surprisingly gung-ho about taking Apprentece out.

Is this why people enjoy playing competitively? So they can hunt monsters?

Until now, this whole premise of having schools compete with each other didn't really make much sense to Nia. She didn't understand what was the point of organizing such a bloody competition for a video game that could be played online.

Like, seriously. Bringing players onto the stage and placing them in front of an audience, all seemed excessive. What was the point of it even?

But today, Nia finally started feeling like maybe there's a point to it, after all. Bringing all these talented players onto one stage invoked war between the biggest monsters of the region.

These guys were unlikely to run into each other in Ranked. And even if they did, the stakes wouldn't be the same. There wouldn't be as much tension in the air.

So, scrims must've existed to arrange such monster vs. monster matchups. Such fights were as scary as they were enticing.

Until now, I thought I wanted nothing to do with any of this. But, this Orc...

Honestly, this Apprentece guy was kinda triggering. Not only did this guy counter Nia's sneaky gank, but he even turned the tables on her when she DID manage to sneak up on him. And, that happened under the tower, where Nia should've had an absolute advantage.

Seriously, that was hax. A player like that was not allowed to exist, especially not at a middle school level.

Everybody agrees, right? Nia thought. The entire team thinks this guy is a cheat. A monster like that shouldn't be legal. It's too scary.

Nia had the habit of calling many things "scary", but this time it wasn't just about her. The entire team would easily agree that Apprentece was just too scary to be real.

I don't like that. Not one bit. Nia grumped. Countering my stealth is a no-no. I have to make it work on him, at least once...!

Despite just being killed by a monster. Nia couldn't wait to jump back into the fray and gank this scary guy again. Next time, it'll work for sure...!

Actually, the second attempt almost worked, too. Nia thought. So, I really don't get why Yuel is blaming himself so hard here. His shot-call was fine. I could've finished the guy off if I played a little better, I think.