Vol.18 Ch.11: Yuel's Negative Talent for Reassuring

The final game began. At long last, Stratus had the opportunity to test their mettle against Apprentece, the rumored pro-level player!

With that said, the game's opening was rather uneventful. Yuel told the team to exercise caution against early invades, but the enemy didn't seem interested in anything of the sort.

So, I see Apprentece isn't THAT cocky. Yuel thought. I was sure the Orc pick implied he was completely looking down on us, but he's more reasonable than that, at least.

In fact, even the Leopards themselves were a bit surprised by that tame turn of events.

"My, you're not suggesting an invade?" Cato asked.

"No need," Jin stated matter-of-factly.

"I thought you were planning to go all out with that Orc of yours."

"This kind of invade is risky for minimal benefit. Not worth."

In truth, when dealing with vastly inferior opponents, an early invade was a great opener for hyper-aggressive classes like Orc and Dark Knight. However, given who Jin's teammates were in this game, he didn't want to take unnecessary risks.

I will take risks as needed, but only the kinds of risks I can fully control. Jin thought. I shouldn't rely on these teammates too much.

After the tame opening, both sides proceeded to their lanes. And so, the laning phase began.

Out of everybody in Stratus, it was Ben who had to face the new, powerful opponent.

Just my luck. Ben gulped. B-But I have to do it! Somehow.

This laning phase was assuredly going to be fiercer than anything he had experienced here today. Not only was the opponent's class far more aggressive than anything Ben had faced today, but the opponent himself was also rumored to be leaps and bounds above Challenger in terms of skill level.

I-It's okay! As long as I stick to my usual defense, I should be able to do it...! Ben tried to pump himself up, but shivers nonetheless assaulted him. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't lie to himself - he was terrified.

This was the last game of the day, the game that would decide the winner of the entire scrimmage. And, it was Ben's responsibility here to stop the enemy's strongest player, to make sure Apprentece won't be able to snowball to victory.

N-No pressure, haha... Ben took a deep breath. I-It's okay. It should be okay. I've come so far today already. I should be okay. Yes.

This wasn't the first time that pressure got to him today, and it probably wasn't the last time, either. On this grand stage, with countless eyes watching his every move, it was impossible to not get nervous. Everybody wrestled with that kind of pressure to one degree or another. Therefore, Ben had to confront that nightmarish beast as well!

For better or worse, this entire inner turmoil was written all over his face for everybody to see. Ben went from shaking, to frowning, to gritting his teeth in determination, and then back to frowning again.

"I'm tellin' ya, dude is totally out of it," Lars whispered.

"Yes, I can see that," Yuel agreed. "But, it looks like he's about to overcome it? Or, maybe not..."

Ben's expression went back and forth between that of a terrified kitten and a confident lion. His mental state must have been a total mess.

"Ya gotta say something to him, dude."

"Me?" Yuel asked. "I don't think I'm the man for the job. That's more your forte."

"I've already said a bunch of stuff to everybody, remember? But, Ben is still nervous like that. My talk ain't helping him, yo."