Chapter 1~ The fight

*Elizabeth's POV*

~Present day~

Being weary and shocked from this morning's events, slowed me down but not enough so that I couldn't reach the secret entrance to the palace. The guards recognized me and allowed me to pass through without an objection. Stepping into the cave I was engulfed in darkness but thankfully, due to my advanced sight and memory, I found the stone which I clung to tightly before identifying myself "Scarlet". That is not my real name but it's my wolf's name.

I should probably explain; I'm a werewolf, not the kind that eats you, however. No, I'm more like a shapeshifter. I can shift fully into a wolf and me being seventeen I only just shifted a year ago. Werewolves can shift whenever we want and we can communicate with our inner wolves. I am also a royal wolf, meaning I'm a black wolf whereas the other wolves are a variation of colours excepting black of course. Shifters are bigger than average wolves and they have the advanced senses in both forms. In the werewolf community there are the royals and then the alphas who control the packs. Every alpha has a Luna (their mate) and a beta, which is the second in command. Now to explain mates; Every wolf has a soul mate which is like a person who your soul is bonded to forever, I didn't believe in soulmates, at least not until this morning. I have always believed in free choice and free will and I never understood how one person can shift your entire world on a dime so easily. But after meeting my mate, however one-sided and shocking it had been, I was now feeling an intense pull in my gut to return to him. Since this morning I had been feeling waves of shock run through my body and I had been battling with Scarlet on the decision to leave my mate behind but I needed to get home and process it all before I considered my options. Now my sister is Lily Knight, Queen of the werewolves and me, being her sister, I am the princess of Werewolves. That makes it so discovering my mate was Dylan Waters, the soon to be alpha of the Blood waters pack, was not unexpected just shocking.

Shaking my thoughts out of the history lesson I focused on the present moment. The glistening stone before me recognised my password and vanished. I squeezed my eyes shut tight to block the blinding light out as the familiar spree of dizziness washed over me. When I reopened my eyes I stood in the beautiful grounds of the palace of the werewolves. I walked more slowly than before, no longer rushing as I took in the breathtaking beauty. Once I reached the door I was greeted by Lauren the housekeeper who had somewhat taken over the role of my adoptive mother. She helped me when I was younger and even now still. "You're finally back, I didn't think I'd see the day! Oh Lily will be so glad, she's missed you so much, as we all have to be honest!" asked Lauren, her face alight with joy at my return. My once pondering face turned to a smile as I was engulfed in a hug. "It's great to see you too Lauren but I really want to just settle in first before I see my sister," I replied. Lauren nodded and patted my arm "Oh well dear I understand you've had a long trip home and I know you have some stuff to report back to Lily from the general but you do need to relax and lighten up a bit, this is your home as well you know and you've been away for a year." Nodding my head, I forced a smile and decided I needed to do what I did best and go spar to clear my head. I turned and headed to the training grounds.

As I crossed through the majestic palace, I was acknowledged by several kitchen staff and maids with a light smile and respect as I passed by. The realization that I wouldn't be respected so much if they only knew of my secret job caused my pace to quicken, my body eager to reach my destination. Excepting a select few, like my sister, Lauren and some advisors, the rest of werewolf society thought I was off at werewolf boarding academy, not secretary hunting my parent's murderer.

As I approached the training grounds the sounds of blades colliding struck my ears, I smiled and picked up the pace. This is where I was supposed to be. I soon entered and stood awestruck as I was every time by the beauty and grace of the fighters, the way they spun and parried as if it came naturally. A voice rang out as I watched with admiration "Hey Lizzie, you are back from boarding school! Now do you want to stop drooling and come and show me what you've learned from that prestige school of yours?" cried Mark. I growled, hating the nickname he called me, only my sister called me that. Mark Walters was an arrogant, stuck up two-faced player who provoked me every chance he got, the only reason he was still breathing was due to the fact he was my sisters betrothed. Smirking I answered, "You sure you want me to tell my sister about this?" I questioned. He struggled "What do I care?" he answered. Anger surged through me at his words at his insult "So you wouldn't mind being beaten by a girl in front of your plastic fans!?" I laughed indicating the small group of girls fawning over him. Frowns and glares were thrown my way but I shrugged them off before I slowly, purposely began walking towards him.

Feet planted, hands ready to block or parry I leant forward "You can bail if you want I won't hold it against you!" I smirked, his face quickly contorted in anger before he jumped forward going for my abdomen. Expecting this I gracefully stepped to the side before I grabbed his shoulder and judo flipped him. He grunted then stumbled to his feet before he feinted to the left and then spun around to tackle my right side but once again I expected his move just not quick enough, I braced myself instead and stumbled ever so slightly. Luckily I recalled a trick my uncle had used many times against me, I reached forward and using his forward momentum I pulled him towards me and into a headlock. Taken off his guard he came easily and before he knew it I had won the game.

Applause rang out in my ears and releasing my victim I bowed, smirking. Looking around I realized I had drawn a crowd and was even more surprised that my sister Lily was there. She nodded, pleased before walking over "That was some fine fighting! How was your journey? How are you?" She stated before she hugged me. I laughed, pulling back "I'm fine thanks! That fight was just the thing I needed, although I can't figure out why you are betrothed to that guy though?!" I argued. She sighed, the smile dropping from her face as she whispered "You know why sis, the council won't allow me to take the throne without a mate and I haven't found him yet meaning Mark is the only person eligible for the position as of currently!" she groaned. I nodded knowing she was right but that didn't mean I had to like it. "Listen I heard you were back early and I want to hear every detail as to how the hunt has been going and what changed! Will you come to my office so we can talk please?" she motioned. I nodded "I'll meet you there, I just need to shower and get changed first." I asked, hoping for the chance to properly compose my thoughts before I told her everything. She responded quickly "Of course, your old room is exactly how you left it so head on up and we can meet later when you are ready, I am in dad's old study now!" She told me. Giving her one more sweaty hug, I turned and flipped Mark off and rushed inside to my room