Chapter 45~ Guns don't match with cereal

*Elizabeth's POV*

The drive passed quickly amid cheers of laughter and poorly sung notes. Sooner than I could recall we arrived at the grocery shop. The bell chimed as we entered the rustic shop, cartloads of fresh produces lining the shelves. The shop was deserted apart from the bored looking cashier, who sat flipping absentmindedly through a magazine. She perked up slightly when we entered but sagged down slightly when we walked past her, muttering a quiet hello, to the ice cream aisle. Clarity split from me halfway down the row to go and locate some popcorn for us. Seconds after Clarity left my sight the bell chime dinged loudly as a customer walked in. I didn't suspect anything at first but then I heard the scream.

The scream vibrated against the rattled shelves. Even though the torturous scream brought fear to me it also brought immediate relief as it didn't belong to my best friend. Suddenly the scream cut off leaving only my heavy breaths and those of the murderers to be heard. I tried desperately to quiet my rushed breath and to slow my racing heart but my feeble attempts were useless, the only thing that saved me was the scuffle of feet and the heavy thump that could only be a body. Relying on my enhanced abilities I crept silently out of the isle, peering around the corner to check if the coast was clear. Rounding the corner I nearly slipped, regaining my balance I looked down to find the cause of my near accident and almost screamed. Pooling the floor was a sticky, thick red liquid. It was blood. Even though I'd split my fair share of it before I still wasn't prepared for the ugly remains of the fair headed cashier. I mean who could ever harm an innocent girl; it was barbaric. So caught up in my raging thoughts I didn't notice the footsteps halt. A loud clearing of a throat caused my head to fling up, nearing giving me whiplash. Shocked I stared down the murderer "Look little girl we're not going to kill you! I swear no harm will come to you!" he pronounced, hands up in surrender. His words only briefly filtered thought my analyzing mind, nevertheless his words caught my attention. He had said "no harm will come to you" which meant he hadn't discovered Clarity. Relieved that one of us was safe I stepped forward, my fear vanishing at his surprised face. "If you going to try and lure me away it won't work. I dealt with people way worse than you before!" I taunted.

Yeah but that was when we could uncover our secret and we had weapons. We can't reveal what we are and we don't have time to change. Plus we don't have weapons so unless you can take down a full grown man with a knife, you're dead! Hissed scarlet.

Okay so you may have a point about lacking time to change but really where is your faith? I can take him down easy! Watch! I retorted, my vision catching on his slow but steady walk towards me. Ducking just as he swung his concealed knife I tackled him around my midsection.

Taken off balance he fell to the bloodstained ground. Releasing my vice like grip at the last minute I quickly acted. Creating a wide arc with my arm I swung back around, sweeping bags and sacs of crisps onto his recovering body. Quickly I retreated down the aisle, no longer concerned about stealth. I heard grunts and curses from my attacker behind me but I continued looking down passing aisles. Finally on the last aisle I saw the peak of red hair from behind stacks of cereal. I didn't dare call her name instead rushing to the piled up boxes. Whispering her name lightly, I tossed aside jammed packed boxes, but was greeted by silence. As my fear for her condition increased so did my digging. Eventually I reached her and gently pulled her out, only to be greeted by a pale faced Clarity. Apart from her colorless face she seemed unharmed and relieved I came to the conclusion that she must have just fainted. Unable to carry my friend I resorted to the wake up approach. Aware of my lack of time I forcefully brought my hand down on the check. A loud whelp sounded but successes was activated with the flutter of her eyelids. Leaving down I hissed in her ear "Clarity wake up NOW!" my rude awakening jolted her but she managed to stumble to her feet. Meanwhile the sound of a ding echoed around the close off room, surely that meant he gave up and left? My question was answered soon enough just not how I wanted it to be. Two gruff men turned the corner as their voice flooded to my open ears "What is the holdup James?" asked a commanding voice. Nerves rattled inside me at the voice. Knowing If I stayed I would be hunted I used the lingering question unanswered as I charged toward the door, supporting Clarity with every amount of strength I possessed.

Focusing entirely on my escape I didn't hear or see the man slip in front of me until I crashed into him. At my forced stop Clarity was wrenched out of my arms and thrown to the ground. Now fear was something us werewolves were trained to use as motivation. I'd always used it as my boost for courage but in this case every tip or instruction I'd ever been given on escaping fled my mind, leaving me standing like a zombie. I heard a chuckle and automatically my eyes were drawn to the man's face. The sight I expected, a gruesome mustached man, was like a toy car compared to a Ferrari. This man was handsome on another scale, if angels could walk the earth he'd be one. Sidetracked by his appearance I didn't notice him pull a 9mm pistol on me, it was only when I heard the safety click that I realized what a life threatening situation I was in.