Chapter 10~The Dance

*Elizabeth's POV*

As my favourite song began to play over the speakers I turned and grabbed my sister's hand, rushing to the dance floor. "Help me James my sister is attacking me!" She whined. He only looked on with a grin. I felt eyes on me but I ignored them before I began to swing my hips to the beat. My sister, resigned to her fate joined in and we began to sing along.

Now I've been told I have a wonderful voice but really they just say it because I'm a royal. As I sang I swear I saw people around me cringe and I only smiled, I mean It's my party why shouldn't I have fun!

The decorations truly were gorgeous! The chandelier glinted in the moonlight that filtered through the drapes. Crystal lights illuminated the room creating a magical feel. Tables laden with food and beverages scattered the edge of the dance floor. I smiled, I would have to thank the staff that organized this later. Sadly the song ended bringing me out of my thoughts. I pushed my sister away "Go see him I know you want too!" I exclaimed. She turned and disappeared, swept away by the dancing couples. I slowly moved through the crowd but was interrupted by a tap on my shoulder. Spinning around I almost fell into Jake. Stumbling slightly he reached out and steadied me "Thanks." I replied. He stared at me for a few moments, looking me up and down. His intense gaze gave me shivers and obviously noticing my discomfort he looked up and blurted out "Princess Elizabeth would you do me the honour of dancing with me?" Startled I froze thinking frantically of an excuse. It was my wolf who provided one in the end "Umm thanks for the offer, it's really flattering but I'm not really feeling it now!" I hurriedly added. Looking disappointed he lowered his head "Okay well maybe later then?' He begged, distressed I looked for an escape route, it was James that saved me in the end. "Oh hey Liz can we talk somewhere privately?" He asked, motioning towards the balcony. I nodded quickly and glanced meaningfully at Jake. Taking the hint he bowed before leaving. Once he was out of eyeshot I burst into speech "OMG thank you so much! You just saved me!" I hugged James tightly. Peeling me off him he chuckled "It's okay your sister sent me and besides you were breaking his heart there Princess! Now run before you get caught up again!" He ordered. Nodding viciously I scurried out of sight towards the drink table. I was stopped several more times but each and every time I declined as politely as possible but still firmly.

Finally reaching the table I quickly swiped a water bottle as I headed out onto the balcony. Stars dazzled overhead as the cool night breeze touched my hot skin. In the daylight the gardens are amazing but at night they looked imitating in the distance. "What are you doing out here alone Princess?" Asked an unknown voice. I spun around, hand on the hidden dagger strapped to my belt. "You know you could have reacted like a normal person!" remarked my mate, hands held in mock surrender above his head. I only glared darkly at him "Well if you hadn't surprised me I wouldn't have reacted so!" I retorted, anger seeping through my voice. "What have I done to upset you?" he asked, confusion and hurt in his voice. I sighed, I mean what had he done? Other than kiss another girl and blindly ignore me!

"He didn't and still doesn't know we're his mate! Just give him a chance" jumped in my wolf.

"But his father killed my parents and I tried to kill him!" I retorted

"But he's still alive right? As for the father situation he had no part of it I can assure you!" she argued.

"Fine! I suppose you're right! I'll give him a chance to prove himself." I answered.

My conversation was interrupted by a cough "Um Princess I apologize for whatever crime I have committed to offend you!" he told me, honesty showing. To say I was impressed was an understatement. I mean Alphas never apologize and I mean NEVER! "Nothing. You've done absolutely nothing. It was just a bad first impression that I judged you by and I'm sorry for that!" I answered, gesturing widely so to get my point across. He looked relieved "Princess if I may be so forward could I ask you for this dance?" he questioned, his expression hopeful. I nodded before following him to the dance floor. Stares were thrown my way and I saw my sister give me a smirk. The next song came through the speakers and I groaned, it was a tango. He placed his hands on my hips smirking. Before I could process we began to glide across the dance floor. Our bodies fit perfectly like we were moulded as one. The dance was simple and beautiful. Finally, the song drew to a close and the two of us stood breathless, forehead against forehead. His next words shocked me "My darling you look beautiful has anyone told you that? Thanks for giving me the honour of dancing with you!" he whispered before he released me and walked away, leaving me breathless.