Chapter 20~The brothers

*Elizabeth's POV*

The supernatural council ruled over us all and were very much respected in our world. The high council consisted of humans, werewolves and vampires. Due to the hunters, there were very few vampires left and those that survived were on the council or worked as secret agents like me. Unknown to everyone else but the council and my sister, I've worked with the council many times before on assignments. The council funded my investigation for my parent's killer so I owe them a big debt. Seeing the big gathering up ahead I guessed that's where I needed to go. Among the party was some of my closest friends, excluding Clarity of course. Rounding the corner I spotted them and switched to a dignified walk, hoping to appear graceful and elegant. Noticing the sniggers however, meant I'd been caught. I looked up and smiled seeing Chase and Mason. Chase was my closest friend of the two and we were practically joined at the hip in everything we do. Mason was the third part of our trio and was the reasonable one. Mason and chase were twins and both vampires, the only two with royal blood. Their heritage was shown by the dazzling gold eyes and their dark blond hair they both shared.

To most, it was impossible to tell them apart but to me, it was a walk in the park. Mason had a scar above his right eyebrow, caused by me. We had been play wrestling and he had fallen and hit his head. Chase and I had always teased him about although he didn't have any major damage he did lose some brain cells.

Falling back into reality, I looked up to see them smirking at me. I heard my name called from behind followed by rapid footsteps and knowing who it was, I held my head up and continued. Chase and Mason were now frowning in confusion as they tried to connect the dots. I reached my sister, who was currently greeting the head of the council, David. I bowed my head in respect and greeting "I am so sorry I'm late, I got caught up in something." I explained. David only shook his head "It's really no problem, Now should we take this indoors?" he questioned, turning to my sister. She nodded and the two of them headed inside, deep in conversation. I waited, falling back to walk alongside Chase and Mason. Ignoring the gossiping people around us, I threw my arms around them in my famous death hug. The two replied with no hesitation "We missed you Lizzy! How've you been? I heard you didn't complete the assignment with your lead, what happened?" remarked Chase, ruffling my hair. At his actions, I heard a faint growl but pointedly ignored it "Hey you too! We have a lot to catch up on! Why don't you sleepover tonight? Then we can talk!" I asked finger crossed in hope. Their faces lit up, light a kid on Christmas. "Yes! Of course! We can do each other's nails and play dress up!" Exclaimed Mason. I only laughed at his childish nature. Before we could continue our conversation though Dylan tapped my shoulder. At his contact I felt sparks fly, I grunted in sadness. Why couldn't someone like Chase be my mate? He was smart, funny, considerate and matched me really well. It was just my luck to be paired with the guy whose father killed my parents. Dylan's deep voice jolted my thoughts "What are you doing with your hands on my girl? Who do you think you are? Why are you allowing two males to be alone with you? I will not allow two males to sleep with you! I will report this to your boss and will see how he thinks?" roared Dylan, jealously evident. In comparison to the two vampires, he was shorter but leaner so in an effort to imitate them puffed out his chest while talking. 

I stood, gobsmacked as I listened to the words coming out his mouth. Anger rushed through me, I looked over at the guys and could see they were offended and ready to attack. The crowd had long since moved on so no one dared put a stop to the brewing fight. The tension was broken by Chase's laugh "You think you can imitate us pup! You've got another thing coming! How dare you approach us and accuse us of taking advantage of Lizzy like that! Besides we done this before multiply times and our boss wasn't bothered then, so go ahead and complain to him!" commanded Chase, his features angry. Mason cut in then "You really think we would harm Lizzy? We'd known her all her life and by the look of things, Lizzy doesn't even want you here either! So go run away back to your friends!" ordered Mason, motioning to his pack who stood poised, ready to defend their alpha if needed. Dylan glared hard at the brothers before turning to me, jealously and sadness in his pleading eyes. I turned my head, not wanting to confront him. Admitting defeat he walked away, but at the last minute, he turned and threw a punch at Chase's face. Chase, being a royal vampire had extreme reflexes so even though he was taken off guard he caught Dylan's flying fist halfway to his eye. Chase growled and yanked him forward "Look stay away from us and stay away from Lizzy when you're at it as well!" He hissed before dropping Dylan's now sprained wrist and walking away. Mason and I followed quietly for several paces before I flung my arms around Chase's waist "Thank you so much for not hitting him back! You're the most amazing best friend ever!" I screamed. He laughed " Liz don't worry about it, I could sense he cared about you and that means something must have happened between you and him, meaning you wouldn't like me to hit him!" he exclaimed his voice gleeful and thoughtful. I gasped "How did you get all that from one short conversation?" I asked. Pretending to think Mason bought his hand to his chin "I wonder what gave it away? The jealously or the jealously?" He replied, amused. I smacked his head "Yeah that's obvious doofus but really? Have you got a new power or something I don't know about, maybe mind reading?" I retorted. "Yeah we do have mind reading and I know that right now you're thinking 'Mason is just the hottest person alive'" He told me smirking. I shook my heads stupid vampires and their over excessive ego!