Chapter 14~The hospital

*Elizabeth's POV*

The blackness faded in and out and voices filtered through my scrambled thoughts. I heard snippets of hurried talking, the gentle caress of someone's thumb drawing patterns on my sensitive skin. It's like one of those dreams where your mind is awake but your body is paralyzed. Every day that passed I grew stronger and soon I lost track of time. One day my touch returned though, I felt the roughness of the sheets. Then my hearing returned, I heard the buzz of an air conditioner and the hum of machines around me. My sight soon followed and I saw vivid whiteness at every angle. The door opened slowly and in walked Dylan, dark bags could be seen under his eyes and he looked shattered. Along with his appearance, I could feel his sheltered emotions, he was sad, regretful and angry. Seeing his depressed face tugged on my heartstrings so deeply that I called out "Why are you so sad! I'm perfectly fine!" I exclaimed, grunting with pain at my failed effort to sit upright. His face morphed into something known as a relief as he surged forward, grasping me in an impossibly tight hug "As much as I'm sure you enjoy this I am being suffocated over here!" I protested. He pulled back grinning like a madman "I'm sorry but you've been out for ages and I haven't stopped worrying and when I saw you I just couldn't..." he trailed off. Listening to his words I felt happiness rise to my skin at his concern for me. Smiling I pulled him in for a gentle hug, which thankfully this time he copied. The door was ripped off its hinges when in raced a screaming redhead girl. Dylan immediately stepped in front of me but relaxed when he saw who had screamed. "Girl you missed the biggest catfight the world has ever known! You wouldn't guess who it was between!! Okay, I can't wait, it was between your sister and that freak who was dating her mate. It was unbelievable and you are so unlucky to have missed it!" panted Clarity. She then proceeded to scream again "Oh I'm such a terrible best friend! How are you? Have you too done all your lovely mate stuff yet? Can I spend some time with my best friend, please! Scram!" she huffed, motioning at Dylan to disappear. He stood there in shock for a minute before it all registered and he turned giving me a quick hug before exiting. I heard the faint mutter "I will never understand women?!" just as the door closed. My best friend squealed and charged at me "OMG are you two a thing? I need to know! I mean you must be, you haven't killed him yet so that's a good sign I suppose!" she told me, excitement and seriousness in her tone. I signed where was a girl without her best friend?

~Hours later~

We chatted for hours, Clarity and I, and she caught me up on everything I've missed right down to the little details. We were interrupted once when a nurse entered to check my vitals. Yes, you guessed it I was in a hospital. According to Clarity I'd been in a coma for 4 weeks. The doctors explained that it was stress and exhaustion that finally wore me down and so my body just shut down, nothing life-threatening. My sister came to visit and soon the three of us were recounting my sister's fight. Supposedly my sister was walking along when she was confronted by the little backstabbing girl, whose name I found out was Britney. So Britney had approached her in the middle of the palace and attacked her. My sister, however, knew instantly what was going to happen and she blocked the poor punch that was thrown her way before she packed her own punch this time knocking Britney out cold. Hearing the story reported back to me from my over-enthusiastic friend made me believe the retelling had been over-exaggerated. Nevertheless, I was proud of my sister. I mean who wouldn't be proud of my sister for knocking out her biggest enemy. The next question that popped up in my mind, however, worried me "Hey so the reason I'm in here really, what happened with the clearing? Where there any survivors?" I asked, sadness and guilt coursed through me. I was a coward running like that, I should have checked for survivors before I left. I just couldn't stand seeing their faces and I just ran. My sister looked down "Sadly I think you already know the answer to the questions about the survivors, there were none. The situation is under control now! We are running a closer investigation as to who murdered them and I'll keep you updated." She told me, her voice quivering slightly. No doubt she was as shocked as me at this unexpected turn of events. We sat in silence thinking over the tragic event until Clarity being the friend I loved, broke the awkward silence "So yesterday I called Dylan wanting to ask how you were and he answered the phone, but he didn't manage to turn it off completely! I think you'd like to hear what he has to say!" she addressed me, flipping to her voice recording with a tricky gleam in her eyes.