Together, We Rise (Volume 5 Chapter 17)

(QUICK NOTE: I will HIGHLY recommend you to READ THE PREVIOUS CHAPTER of this story to get back up to pace with what's going on. Yes, I'm aware that I broke the tension of this story due to my hiatus, genuinely my bad.)

"Do you wish you were ever reborned as someone new...?"

...

...

...

"As... someone new? What does that mean...?"

Staring down the blood-red eyes of the shadows, the figure of Cinder moves back in front of you. She lets out a low laugh, placing her hand on your hair and slowly rubbing it.

"You've always wanted a peaceful life. A life with no strife, no war... yet..."

She slowly raises her hand up.

"Here you are, forced into a war with you and your closest friends, where the punishment is death. Your DESTINY... your FATE was to fix your father's mistake, and guess what? He died in a WAR."

"Kh-!"

You close your eyes and gritted your teeth.

"You're just repeating history! But this time, you're bringing down your FRIENDS! You're bringing down all the people who've put THEIR faith in you!"

...

"You're going to bring down... all the people that's left."

"H-Hh..."

CRACK!

"AHG-!"

Slammed down to the ground by Cinder, her boot over your head, she lets out a cackle.

"You're fighting a pointless war! There's no POINT!"

She grabs you by your collar and pulls you up, forcing you to stare into her eyes.

"So... why don't you take the pain now... so you don't have to deal with the consequences later?"

She opens her hand up and conjures a small flame that gradually grew bigger and brighter. She places it on your chest, slowly searing through the fabric of your vest.

"You don't have to deal with the pain of losing everything. You won't have to deal with any more pain! Wouldn't this be... a favor?"

"..."

...

...

Silence.

No strength to speak. No strength to move.

No strength to think.

You've been utterly shattered and broken. Cinder's words rang true.