Split Apart (Jake's POV) (Volume 4 Chapter 18)

Stood atop of a stony ledge, Lie Ren looked ahead towards the mountainous path laid across him. The wind blows, the gray dark skies looming above him.

Beside him was Nora, stood across him with a tired expression. And, beside Nora was Jake, the new member of the group that tagged along for the ride, the once-was devil named Jacob Elvins, a neutral expression plastered across his face.

Ren then glances over at Nora and sighs.

Ren: We never get the easy path, do we?

Nora puts her hands behind her back.

Nora: Easy's no fun anyway.

Jake: True that. Gotta go in everything as hard as possible!

Nora: Right...

She drops her hands and glances at Ren.

Nora: You OK?

Ren: Mhm. And you?

Nora: I've got you here, don't I?

Ren looks at her as if he does not know what to make of her response. Jake lets out a chuckle.

Jake: I feel like I'm a third-wheel in this lil escapade, aren't I?

Nora gives Jake a glare, but he chuckles in return.

Nora: Come on. There's more than one way up a mountain.

Nora then walks away and up the mountain. Ren watches her for a beat before smiling, but thunder rumbles and Ren loses the smile, turning to look up at the sky. And again, Jake lets out a chuckle.

Jake: You're so dense, Ren.

Nora: Hey! There's wind blowing out of this cave!

Ren and Jake catch up to Nora. Suddenly, leaves blew outward towards the three.

Nora: Think it might lead to the peak?

Ren: I suppose there's only one way to find ou- Ah!

He cuts off as a large piece of fabric abruptly blows out from the cave and covers his face. Nora and Jake giggle, covering their mouth with their hands as Ren frees himself.

Ren:  Yes, yes. Very funny.

Jake: Top tier comedy, I may add.

Ren rolls his eyes as he bends down to look at the marked fabric in his hands. And, upon further inspection, he grows still. Nora lowers her hands and steps closer.

Nora: Hey, what's wrong?

Ren: This is the symbol for Shion Village.

Nora: Shion? But that's... that's the village where we found the Huntsman. It's weeks away from here!

Alarmed, Ren drops the fabric and runs into the cave.

Nora: Ren! Wait!

Ren then stops once he is far enough into the cave to have a good look at what's located in there. Nora and Jake catch up to him and becomes alarmed at what they see.

Jake: Woah...

Nora: Oh my gosh...

In the spacious area, weapons speckle every place that anyone can look. Swords, axes, and staffs are all either propped up or on the ground.