Stuck (Volume 6 Chapter 8)

The sun shone brightly through the windows of Argus, the next day now upon Remnant. You were asleep in the living room, wrapped around a mattress on the floor.

Slowly, you stir awake, letting your brain and body fry up to speed. Taking a look around, everyone else was still unconscious. Qrow and Heath slept on the couches, while Jake and Oscar slept on the floor. 

Getting up, you walked to the bathroom to wash yourself up. Today, the plan was to head to the military base to see if you could get an escort to Atlas.

Slowly, the fog in your brain fades away as you slowly remembered the conversation and plan that transpired before bedtime. Qrow will say that he's friends with Ironwood and that he's escorting Weiss back to Atlas.

The plan was simple enough. Maria had said that she used to travel from Argus to Atlas before the borders were closed. 

With permission, SURELY this goes to plan, right?

Leaving the bathroom, you bump into Ruby, the girl who clearly had just woken up moments prior. Her hair was messy, and her eyes were slightly tighter than normal.  You greet her with a smile.

"Morning, Ruby."

"Morning, Y/N. I didn't need you to wake me up this time." She says slyly, smiling back at you. The two of you chuckle.

"Remember the plan later?" You ask, to which Ruby nods.

"Argus Military Base. Let Qrow talk, we get a free ticket to Atlas." She responds.

"Sweet. I'll go help make food for us."

Ruby pumps her fists.

"Aw yeah, Y/N's daily breakfast! Canned food's got nothing on your dishes!"

You let out a hearty laugh.

"I'd retire if canned food was better than my cooking! I'll make sure to make the best meal possible today!"

"You better! We need all the energy we can for today."

Ruby reaches out her hand for a fist bump. Reciprocating, the smile grows on both your faces.

It has been a while since you've felt so elated. Compared to Brunswick Farms, you felt free. Happy. Light.

It felt like you were all about to accomplish another step.

...

Ruby lets out a cough, snapping you out of the clouds.

"Uh... can I go in the bathroom now? You're blocking the way."

Realizing, you pull back the fist bump and scurried to the side.

"S-Sorry! G-Go wash up, food should be ready when you're done."

However, as you turned to leave, a loud cough stops you and Ruby in your tracks. Qrow lets out a yawn and walks beside the two of you.

"Jeez... how can the two of you be so loud this early in the morning...? The whole house can hear you both..."

You rub the back of your neck.