A Dance with A Devil (Volume 5 Chapter 6)

(RNJR House, Early Morning)

Seen in the house, you and Jake were busy sparring with each other at the terrace. Step for step, slash for slash, it looked to be a slow dance.

Unlike several times where your fights were full of hostility, this fight felt more chill. Calmer. And, it was a nice change of pace, for you at least.

However, you still felt unsure about Jake. You already accepted that he was not going to kill any of you guys, considering that he would've done it way earlier if he had the motive. Yet, if he wasn't going to disrupt you guys, then what was his true motive? 

"Surely its not be just fighting Salem that he's joined our side, right?" You thought, as you block a slash from Jake and returned with a spinning slash, only for it to be dodged. 

"But... I can't think of another motive that he has. He has to be using us as some sort of platform, right?" You thought again as you ducked underneath another slash and blasted Jake with the shotgun mode of Redeemer. He grunts in pain and backs off.

Jake: Jeez, the fact that your gunblade can be used for 4 different things is insane...

You backed off yourself and gave him a questioning glance.

Y/N: How so?

Jake: Well, there's one that is for normal shooting. Then, there's the shotgun mode. After that, a literal laser cannon. And finally, a blade. I really, REALLY wish that I'm using your weapon right now.

Y/N: It's got its own drawbacks too, though. The way I have to hold the hilt can lead to wrist pain at times, and the blade is quite shorter compared to most swords.

Jake: ... Any other drawbacks? 

Y/N: Uh... I... don't think so...?

Jake lets out a sigh.

Jake: Yep, that's broken as hell. 

Y/N: I... guess so.

Jake: Ironwood must be really, really sorry if he gifted you that weapon. Good lord is that thing powerful in the right hands...

You narrowed your eyes at Jake.

Y/N: Are you saying that I'm not utilizing it well?

Jake: Well... if I may be blunt, you make some questionable decisions at times. Don't think I would forget the time you were using the auto-mode against Ruby when you were literally right in front of her. I pissed myself laughing!

Y/N: T-That was a misclick! I pressed the wrong button!

Jake: Then what about the time you charged up the laser against Ren, who's literally a ninja?

Y/N: I-I didn't get enough sleep that night!

Jake: Then... what about-

Y/N: OKAY! Okay, I get it! I can be quite clumsy at times, big deal!

Jake: It is a big deal though. The fight against Cinder and her goons is coming, I can feel it.