A Split Team (Volume 4 Chapter 16)

"How... did it come to this?"

"When we all set out on this journey... we were so determined. We were so... joyous, as a group."

"But now... we're split. Split in mind, split between soul."

"Why...? Why must this happen to us...?"

---------------

(An hour before)

It was now morning at the campsite. Birds were tweeting atop the trees and flying in the skies.

Currently, the group was sleeping in their bags. Jake was asleep on a log, while Qrow rested on a tree.

Ren was the first one awake, as he lets out a sigh to start the day.

Ren: We should... probably get moving.

Jaune was the next awake, as he sits up to stretch his arms.

Jaune: Yeah, yeah.

The rest of the group then opens their eyes to look at the sky. Taking the time to get used to the environment, you all suddenly heard coughing from the tree.

Sitting up to see the source, you were shocked to see that Qrow was looking worse and worse, his coughs getting drier and more hoarse. Nora and Ruby sit up, the latter quickly rushing to her uncle's side.

You then glanced at the wound on Qrow's abdomen and was shocked to see that the bandage was stained purple. Jake notices this too and rushed over to Qrow's side.

Jake: Let me see that.

Qrow pulls his hand away with a groan, and the whole palm, including up over the wrist and his fingers, was all covered in the purple stain. Jake and Ruby's eyes widen, the niece letting out a gasp of shock.

Jake: Damn it...

He stands up and lets out a sigh.

Jake: Told ya you were in for a long ride, old man.

Looking at the stain in the wound, Qrow looks back at Jake and chuckles.

Qrow: Well...

He looks up at Ruby.

Qrow: That's unfortunate.

With a groan, he lowers his hand and head before going still. Seeing this, Ruby starts to panic.

Ruby: U-Uncle Qrow!

She then tries to shake him awake, but Jake stops her.

Jake: Stop. It's gonna make things worse.

Ruby: But-!

Jake: Tyrian must've poisoned him with that stinger. This... is bad.

He then turns to you all.

Jake: We need to carry him towards medical attention, STAT.