♦9♦

We spend the rest of our day staying inside, pondering about what happened. Was it a random person who tried to break-in or somebody we knew? I made sure that our front door still worked the way it should and that besides the visible scratches it was still serving its purpose by keeping us safe.

-Are situations like this normal here? - I asked 67 while pouring myself a cup of almond water. -Not gonna lie, that was... creepy. -I sat on the white sofa.

-No. - They responded quicker than ever.

-That's really not comforting. - I gazed at them concerned. -What should we do?

-32 always knows everything! - Their enthusiasm slowly faded as they remembered what happened just a moment ago. -If he's willing to help us. -They added, folding their arms.-It won't hurt us to try though (or at least it shouldn't).

-What if he's the one who tried to break in? - I questioned, but in response they just shagged.

-I doubt it. I have been friends with him since my first day as a partygoer. -They claimed.-He is a little harsh sometimes, but he's a good person. I believe so. -They headed towards the door. -Take your partygoer's disguise and go. I will wait outside for you.

In a few minutes I was already outside in my disguise. We walked towards the 32's house. It didn't take us too long as it was pretty close. We both stood in front of his white doors.

67 knocked once, then a second time... and then a third time. No response.

-Well... he said he was busy before. - I sighed while 67 tried looking through the peephole. -It was barely a few hours ago... And he said to not bother him. -I spoke my thoughts, observing as they desperately tried to see anything.

-Maybe you are right. -67 replied and finally gave up.-Then what do you want to do? - They leaned against the doors trying to continue their sentence, but then they accidentally pressed the handle and fell on the floor inside of the baker's house.

-FUCK! - They hit the ground. - IT WAS OPEN THIS WHOLE TIME?! - 67 shouted. After all these days I spent with them I noticed that whenever they get upset or pissed off their tone changes involuntarily. Most of the time they don't do this on purpose.

-Uhh, let me help you. - I reached my hand to them, helping them to stand up.

-Thanks... - They thanked me.

-You okay? - I wanted to make sure as they hit the ground pretty hard.

-Yes, no worries. - I took a look at the baker's house. It was way cleaner than before. As if he knew that he wouldn't come back for a while. Everything was organised and tidied. . -He probably forgot to lock the doors... - 67 said while entering the apartment.

-Are you sure it's a good idea to stay here? - I wanted to make sure. It seemed like violating someone's privacy to just enter their house under their absence.

-Yeah, no worries. I've done it already a dozen or so times.... - They went on. -And he often does the same for me. - He explained as I cautiously entered the baker's house. Even if his house was so clean and arranged, there was still something disturbing about it. As if something was in the air that gave such a weird vibe to the overall apartment. Probably all the dead corpses he kept in his six fucking fridges. And these six fridges still weren't enough for him.

-What are we even doing here? - I questioned whatever we were doing at this moment.-We were supposed to ask him about our "'discovery"... What's the point if he is not home?!...

-I still don't know where he went. -67 claimed while stealing one of his cookies from the top drawer. -Do you want some too? -They offered me one.

-Nah, thanks... -It felt strange to take something that didn't belong to me. Especially when it belonged to a Partygoer who was certain I was one of them too. Or at least I hoped he thought that. While 67 was stuffing themselves with sweets stolen from 32, I decided to look around. -Is every apartment in the Funrooms made out of a single room? -I asked, continuing doing my thing.

-Of course. -They began. -We use blind alleys to build them, there's no space for anything more than that. -They explained while finishing another cookie.

-Oooh... I never thought of that before... -I replied. This whole time I was thinking that partygoers just had their own unique way of constructing, but now it finally made sense.

While walking around 32's apartment I spotted something unusual on the floor. -What's that? - I pointed at a small, yellowish letter laying on the ground.

-No clue. Show me that. - They picked it up from the ground and read it out loud. The handwriting looked very clean, almost as if it was written by a machine. You could see little ink drips across the sheet, as if someone wrote it in a rush, but wanted to stay professional.

"Dear Partygoer nr. 32

Immediately turn up at level 13. We might have discovered something you would be interested in. We need you for further research on this topic.

The key is hidden in the Boredom Room. Please remember to put it back.

Burn this letter after reading.

We are waiting for you. "

The sender's name was unreadable. It was covered by a huge drop of ink. Suddenly his previous behaviour started making sense. That's how he got the blood from the cannibal cuisine and that's why we even saw him before. He was in a rush, because he had to carry back the key.

The whole room was suddenly silent. Neither of us knew what to say.

-You know what. - 67 gazed at me. -I want to know more about whatever is happening right now.

-But... doesn't that mean we have to go get that key from level 52...? - I asked. Just thinking about how this level has to look like now made my heart hurt.

-I'd like you to go with me, but I'll understand if you refuse. -They explained. -The decision is up to you. - I looked at them, hesitating again. -This level is mostly empty by now, but I promise to protect you if we see anything dangerous.