♦21♦

Sometimes I still can't believe that a simple noclip into the funrooms would change my life this much, but here I was - a partypooper laying on a partygoer's lap while scrolling on that woman's phone out of pure boredom. We were supposed to spend these thirty minutes making sure that our "costumes" looked fine and to fix eventual mistakes, but as it's obvious: we didn't have to deal with that. Instead, we spent all that time doing absolutely nothing.  I wondered if that woman would be mad if she discovered that someone borrowed her phone, but luckily she was too busy to notice and I would put it back as soon as the clock hit 11 pm anyway. 

While me and 67 kept watching the most random stuff on the internet that we could possibly find, 32 looked pensive. He was trapped inside of his own thoughts, probably worrying about the upcoming competition. Too bad I didn't care. His appearance and behaviour was too frightening for me to be concerned about his mental stability, even if I didn't feel endangered around him I still preferred to be at a distance and I felt as if that feeling was mutual. 

-Everything okay, bud? - 67 noticed his expression. The room was silent, he didn't respond as if he didn't hear them. 67 repeated their question slowly. 

-I heard you the first time. - 32 responded after a while, but his voice wasn't reassuring at all. 

-If you're worried about the halloween competition then there's no need nor place to worry!... After all, our "costumes" are the best!-They winked at him playfully, but once again he just decided to ignore them. -Oh? -67 was a little worried, I knew almost nothing about 32 as a person so I couldn't tell what happened .Looking at 67's expression I was certain they didn't either. The longer we stayed in that room the more I started questioning why I had been invited. Sure, I had that blue mask on with a weird sad face, but except for that I wore regular clothing. Maybe she just didn't want me to feel left out, or maybe my mask was enough for her. 

The clock hit 11PM. I quickly put that woman's phone away, hoping she won't notice anything. We began nervously waiting for her, ready for the competition. She was a few minutes late, but it didn't make that much of a difference. 

-I am so sorry for the delay, I had to gather all the participants. - The woman explained. Her voice seemed forcely upset, as if she wanted us to believe that she was truly sorry. That was a weird situation for someone to act in such a way, but maybe that's just how humans handle this kind of stuff - by acting fake as fuck. Either way, all the participants were here. It was hard to believe that all of them were actually humans since most of the costumes were refined to the point where I couldn't believe they were actually fake. I even started questioning if we didn't have a living zombie in front of us - someone really put their whole soul into it. I wondered if we would ever know if there was an actual monster in this competition - besides for us obviously. 

We looked from behind the glittery, shiny curtains. The audience was already here. It was a rather small group of people, excited to watch the show. No more than two hundred people. All of them were waiting impatiently. We could hear that quite well. Even if we weren't more than five minutes late, the crowd was already furious. All I could think of was that humans are sometimes irrational. Here in the backrooms we didn't have any festivals or holiday shows at all and we couldn't care less. It was just how things were for us. 

The woman ran to the stage, took her microphone and started making an introduction. Nothing unusual, just a casual beginning of a show. I could see by her body language that she was stressed, however she still tried to stand there proudly and courageously as if everything was perfectly fine. I couldn't blame her, it was probably a big responsibility to organise something like that. She managed to calm down this crowd of people which instantly made her confidence go back to normal.  

We nervously, but patiently waited for our turn. We were the last in the line to present our halloween costumes, because we were the last ones to sign up for the competition. The show was nothing that I haven't seen before; a person or a small group of people shows their Halloween costumes while getting into character and presenting themselves.

Finally it was our time to get on the stage. We introduced each other to the audience while trying not to act too suspicious... but did it really matter how we would act? After all, it's a Halloween competition - we may still be frightening. Just because we were forced to switch dimensions didn't mean that we weren't monsters anymore. The only thing we tried to avoid was violence as it would be rather hard to explain later without losing our award... While me as a Partypooper didn't worry about suddenly turning into a killing machine, I was kind of sceptical about 32 and maybe 67. Partygoers had a way harder time with controlling their impulses. Especially if they were starving or feeling any other kind of discomfort. And from what I knew... they both haven't eaten anything nutritious in a while. All they had was that human food we stole, but it could only temporarily quench their hunger. 

I thought we were doing great as none of the partygoers attacked anyone nor started uncontrollably shouting. I was proud of 67 for being able to stay calm for this long in such a situation. 
32 on the other hand... 
Couldn't control themselves for any longer. 

While we were trying to get into character and tell a story, 32 suddenly dragged the woman who invited us from behind the curtains and brutally attacked her.

 He violently shattered her arm with his claws, leaving nothing but a piece of flesh hanging from her bone. The blood was dripping everywhere that it possibly could.

 The crowd went silent and my mind went blank. I had no clue how I should act, but I was a little frightened... That could be me, couldn't it? I wasn't devastated by seeing all the blood pouring from her body onto the floor. I was devastated by the thought of me being torn apart by 32 the moment he was done with her.
Why did he even attack her? Was it just one of his impulses or did he feel actual hate towards her for some reason? 

We couldn't think of any better solution than acting as if what he did was still an act so we went along with it. We didn't know much about the human world, but what we were sure about was the fact that humans would not let that slide. 

-Ohh no!! What did you just do?! - My acting skills were pathetically low, but no one said they had to be any better for our plan to work. At this point we didn't care about winning the prize anymore. We just hoped to be able to get out of trouble. 

-Aggghh! - 67 tried making some weird "monster" noises as if they were possessed while 32 continued to tear that woman's flesh apart. 
The crowd was still staring in silence. Luckily, it looked like they bought it.

 67 dragged the body of the woman away from 32, hiding it behind the curtains to quickly end the show. 32 ran after the body, disappearing behind the purple, shiny fabric. I was the last person to leave the stage. I awkwardly ended the competition and left, embarrassed and stressed by this whole situation.