♦15♦

67 picked up a note that fell from the baker's hat. The text looked sloppy, as if someone wrote it in a rush and the paper itself was crumpled.

-Remember when you said that he must have accidentally dropped his hat... -67 commented. -I don't think it was an accident anymore. -They handed me the yellowish piece of paper for me to check out myself. As I was reading the reddish text I froze in terror. I was psychically unable to move any part of my body, it wasn't like I didn't expect the baker to recognise me. The information was just so sudden that I didn't know how to process it correctly. I felt exposed, but at the same time I felt numb. I didn't know how to think about it anymore. I was glad 67 was by my side, because if not them I would definitely feel way more endangered than I already did.

I kept staring at the note. I felt a cold breeze rubbing my cheek out of nowhere as if someone opened the window on a cold, winter night. The problem was that the staircase had no windows anywhere, it was all just inside of my head. A freezing shiver ran through my spine, my head started to ache as I regained control over my body.

-Let's just... keep going. -I whispered. I didn't have the energy to even talk about my concerns and worries. After all these days in the funrooms of constant stress and anxiety I was mentally exhausted and sore. Everyday I felt apprehension getting bigger and stronger inside of my body. It wouldn't stop no matter how hard I tried to get comfortable and relaxed.

"Maybe this is just the way I am meant to be. Maybe there is no "better"."

We took another break at floor 200, but soon after we kept going until we were finally at our desired and long awaited floor 283. I don't remember how long it took us, but I would count it in hours. The air here seemed fresh and I could feel human presence around me. It turned out that the key was for the ordinary staircase door. We expected to see some huge, silver doors with a number 283 engraved on it, but no one tries to be that fancy here. Or at least not the humans.

Even if I felt numb before about what happened, seeing that magical "283" number on a sign above my head quickly returned me to the reality. As 67 carefully put me down onto the floor I felt something heavy on my chest. My legs felt weaker than before and the cause wasn't physical tiredness this time. All these emotions drastically appeared back inside of my head making it hard to breathe. For a solid while I forgot that we were about to encounter the baker, or at least try to find him. The note that he left inside of his hat got stuck inside of my mind to the point where I couldn't concentrate on forming any understandable sentences. I tried to speak, but my throat felt as if it was completely tightened.

-Don't worry, It's gonna be okay. -67 reassured me while throwing at me my partygoer's disguise. I was shaking. It almost slipped out of my hand, but luckily I managed to catch it. I put it on as usual and hoped for the best.-Hey... -67 started just when we were about to go.-I promise that I will reward you for your help and company. -They said, a little embarrassed. -I know that it's probably a lot for you, but I promise that It's going to be worth it... -They continued while I looked at them curious about what their next words were going to be.-I am sorry that you have to go through all of this.

-You already did. - I replied as I turned my gaze onto the floor. -You helped me survive in the Funrooms as a Partypooper. The best I can do is help you find out what your friend is hiding. -I explained. I felt like I needed to pay them back for everything they did to me ever since I first entered the Funrooms. If not for their help, I would probably be dead by now. And besides from that, I felt like I needed to overcome my fears to be a better version of myself. This wasn't the Promised Land anymore, no one would praise me for being so afraid of the outside world.

We cautiously entered the place it took us so long to get into. I felt relieved that we wouldn't have to run up the stairs anymore, but at the same time the thought of not being able to quickly run away if needed... That was absolutely disturbing, but I trusted 67 that they would keep me safe and secure as they promised.