♦10♦

I stayed silent for a moment. "Do I want to know what this level looks like now?" I questioned myself. 67 knew it was a difficult decision for me so they patiently waited for my response as I continued drowning in my own thoughts.

-I'll go with you... - I finally made a choice. I didn't want them to go alone. Level 52 was my home back then, I could guide them and possibly accept that this is just how things are right now. I needed to finally get over it. Or at least try to.

-Really...? - They were sure I would decline their offer, but no. I already accepted the fact that not every partygoer is evil so maybe it's time to move forward and accept that level 52 is destroyed.

-I do. -I confirmed my words. -and besides that... remember when you said you tend to get upset when you're alone? - I repeated their words making them understand that I do in fact care about their silly little face. Yes, they were still a partygoer, but that didn't matter to me anymore at this point. -I don't want you to go there all by yourself, so let me help you this time.

-Oh... - They responded shocked. -Their tone softened and I could see tears falling down their yellowish and leathery cheeks. I didn't even know that it was possible for a partygoer to cry, but "You learn something new everyday".

-Sorry, nobody has been this nice to me since I left the Frontrooms. -They mumbled.

-It's okay, don't worry. - I hugged them as softly as they hugged me before when I needed it. I couldn't just not do anything after everything they've done for me.

-You're right, it's fine.- They laughed and wiped their tears.-Maybe... let's go find that key now. -We both headed towards level 52 in a pleasant atmosphere.-Thank you... -They added.

While we were walking, I started pondering: "how did the baker just run through that distance to put the key away?" He didn't look like an athlete. Level 52 was really ... far from the Funrooms.

-I have a question for you. - I asked 67.

-What is it? -They kept looking down at their feet, listening.

-Why do you care so much where the baker went...? - I began. -Are you just curious what happened and where did he go, or are you worried about him?- I tried to put everything into words. -How did you guys even meet and what is your relationship with him like? - I went on. I didn't understand their friendship... at all. I never saw them interact besides what happened today and when I had to help them with that rotting corpse in the fridge.

-That's a long story, but I don't think that's a bother for you. - I just nodded my head to let them know that I'd like to listen. It took them a moment to put everything into words, but finally they began.

It all started when I got infected and turned into a partygoer. My first day was pretty rough as I lost everything. My family, my friends, my cats, everything. No one is interested in helping newbies as it's too much work and it feels like talking to a newborn that doesn't even know what life is. I was too overwhelmed to do anything at all. I guess 32 wanted to do something good for our society. He wanted to help as many new partygoers as he could to make funrooms a better place. At least that's what he used to say. He was a beginner as well, but he knew all the basics. He teached me some cooking recipes, he helped me get my own apartment, he even talked with me about getting over your past life. I remember that one time he randomly introduced me to another partygoer. They were as confused as I so we got along perfectly. Their number was 37.

Together, we wanted to find a cure or at least let humans know that we aren't as bad as they describe us as. So we began visiting M.E.G, sending messages and trying to communicate in any way we could. They thought we were manipulating them into letting us in so we would kill and infect them too.
One day someone invited us for a "talk". We were all so happy and glad that someone wanted to finally listen to us so we showed up. They told us that for "safety reasons" only one of us can actually enter their base. 37 decided that they want to be the one to change this world.

Well, they never returned.

We waited, and waited, and nothing.

We wanted to ask them what happened, but the moment they saw us they immediately started attacking, so we gave up. The baker after this incident stopped being as cheerful and energetic. We both started hating humanity, because no matter how hard we tried they just didn't want to help us.

I never talked with anyone besides 32 and 37 for longer than a few days. I stand out. They keep telling me this feeling will fade and I really want to believe it, but it never did and probably never will. I don't know what about 32 though. He started acting similar to any other partygoer.I don't know if he still believes we can return or change anything. He seems... busy with something else. I don't think he believes there is going to be a cure anymore. He started acting like someone who lost their "spark". Don't get me wrong. He can still be amazing and I like spending time with them, but it's not the same. He's always in a rush.

By the time they were done we were almost at level 52. They looked at me, waiting for me to say something. I didn't know what I expected, but not that.I was so focused on their story that I didn't even feel how much time had passed. But finally, everything started making sense. Even why my "name" was 37. Maybe that's why he looked at me so weirdly before. He knew I was not 37. My head was filled with more and more questions. I just needed to ask.

-What if the baker didn't give up? -I went on. -What if he just changed his strategy? What if he gave up on cure, because he's looking for another way of setting partygoers free? - I spoke my thoughts. -These are just my little theories tho... - I added.

-Maybe we're about to find out. -They poked my arm. I was completely separated from my surroundings so the moment I realised I was already at level 52 my heart froze.