♦23♦

We returned to the abandoned house. After all, that was the only place that we could call "home" at the moment. We packed that woman's corpse into the garbage bags and hoped for it to be enough.

The moment we returned, it was already 2AM. That wasn't a surprise, we had to spend all these hours scrubbing the blood off the stage - thanks to 32.

I was already exhausted. Constant fear of being spotted as backrooms entities along with physical tiredness made me want to fall into a coma for the next few years.

My heavy steps headed towards the dusty coach in front of me. All I wished for was to finally get some rest.

-Mind helping me drag that body to the attic... ? - 67 asked me in a voice that seemed as fatigued as mine. We were all fed up at this point.

-Why can't 32 do it? - I mumbled, not willing to move. It was his fault we had to take that corpse with us anyways. It was him who fucked up everything. I hated the fact that he put all of us in trouble just to pretend like nothing happened later.

-You know what? You're right.-67 lifted the dead body from the ground just to impulsively throw it at 32. For a while I forgot how hefty and vigorous partygoers actually are. The strength that 67 held in their arms was something that I could only wish for. -You're the one who is dragging it to the attic! -They stood there, looking deadly at 32.

-Why there? - He asked, confused. -Can't we just bake something out of it as we would in the funrooms? -He folded his arms in annoyance. -I am still a baker after all. -Even if I didn't show it, I was flooded with anger towards him. I despised how sudden his mood changes occurred. I could never predict how he was going to respond to a certain information. He could either completely ignore whatever someone was saying to him or go entirely ballistic to the point where I would be concerned about my safety around him. I wondered how 67 could handle all of this, or maybe that is just a common behaviour for partygoers.

-We literally have no ingredients other than that corpse... -67 shortly replied, looking at him irritated.

-Yes we do? -He looked at them as if they were dumb. -Was I the only one to foliage all these drawers? There was some old flour and some sugar if I am correct. -They shagged awkwardly, pointing with their gaze at one of the scratched drawers in the corner of the room.

-What is it even doing here? Has someone lived in that ruin before us? -67 headed towards the corner cabinet. It looked like 32 was right, because what they found was exactly what he described. An old pack of flour and sugar, overgrown in cobwebs. It looked as if it was taken away straight from the backrooms. The packaging was blank with no brand except for a big text saying:

"Flour" and "Sugar". From my knowledge that was a pretty abnormal thing to find in the frontrooms, but who cares. We were not the ones who should be concerned about it.

-I know the cake will suck without the eggs and the baking powder, but we won't get anything better here. -He spoke his thoughts. -We don't have an oven so we should probably light a campfire or something. - He shagged once again, weirdly calm. Killing that woman pacified him enough for him to be bearable, but even though his tone was normal at the moment I still felt as if he was about to burst with anger at any second.

-Okay. That does not sound too bad if I am being honest.-67 commented on his idea.

They began making the dough out of all the ingredients that we had access to. Finding any vessel to mix it in was a torture. The abandoned house had some basic housework tools inside, but almost all of them were broken. Finding a bowl that wasn't falling apart was a total disaster.

Eventually we got what we needed. I knew nothing about cooking or baking so all I did was stand and watch. Occasionally, I would pass them some ingredients trying to be useful, but that's all.

I awkwardly waited for them to finish mixing the dough. In the meantime I decided that the least I could do was light that damn campfire outside so we wouldn't have to waste any more time than we already did. I began searching for some kindling. I never lit a fire in my life before, but I was being told how to do it numerous times by lots of wanderers. For some reason they always loved sharing some survival tips with me, even if I thought I would never actually need them. I guess the time finally came where I had the opportunity to try all of them out.

I got what I needed and tried to recall the instructions in my head. I struggled for a good 15 minutes, but finally managed to get a spark of fire which soon turned into intense, glowing flames.

I dragged a stool from the inside of the house so I could sit next to the campfire and warm up myself. The fire looked as if it was gently dancing to the sound of the wind. I stared at it, completely hypnotised. It was the first time since I noclipped out of the promised land that I felt genuinely calm. My mind was quiet with no negative thoughts haunting me. I could hear 67 and 32 arguing about nothing, but by now I was getting used to their voices. I felt as if nothing could pull me out of this state of serenity.

That's when I saw some strange movement in the corner of my vision. I instinctively turned my head towards it. A strange and small creature, covered in brownish fur with huge green eyes tried approaching me carefully. I felt my heart beat faster out of panic as I couldn't identify whatever was getting closer to me. I froze. I tried my hardest not to do anything that could potentially disturb it as I had no clue what its intentions were.

The creature kept getting closer to me until it was right next to my feet, looking at me with its massive eyes as if it wanted something from me. My fears started slowly dissolving as I noticed that whatever just approached me, meant no harm. Or at least that's what it looked like. I gently reached out with my hand to it, trying to touch it. The creature began to cuddle up to my hand as if there was no tomorrow. Its fur was shining in the moon's glory and in its eyes I could see a reflection of the flames that were still dancing, but this time more vigorously than before.

Suddenly, I heard 67's steps, slowly going in my direction. Their airy and silky steps were always making me sure who it was. I pulled my hand away from the creature and turned around.

-Update: we fucked up and there won't be any cake anymore. -They informed me with visible guilt in their voice.

-We? You fucked it up! - 32 yelled from the kitchen, but for some reason we all decided to just ignore him.

-Oh? - I expressed my uncertainty about whatever was happening around me. I didn't know what I should focus my attention on at this point.
All of a sudden, the creature I was just petting, decided to jump on me and lay on my lap as if it was nothing. I flinched, it catched me completely off guard. For a second I thought that it was going to attack me.

-Is that a cat? - 67 noticed the furry creature taking a nap on me.

-A cat? -I gave them a confused stare. I was sure I heard that word before, but couldn't recall what it meant. 67 pointed with their claws at the creature, letting me know what they meant.

-This. The name of that frontrooms specie is a "cat".