I Got You

Maya carefully weaved her way through the burning building, looking for the two missing civilians.

"Seattle Fire Department, yell out if you can!" Maya yelled, hoping to get some kind of response.

"Bishop, this house is very unstable. We gotta hustle." Theo said.

"Over here." A weak voice called from the corner. Maya and Theo jogged over, spotting two women. "Stay down, and hold on." Maya said, both of the firefighters grabbing on to the women.

Theo and one of the civilians quickly walked ahead, Maya and the other following behind. "Hurry up guys, this things coming down soon." Beckett's voice crackled through the walkie talkie.

Maya opened her mouth to respond to Beckett, but stopped. The ceiling support was coming down, right where Theo and the girl were standing.

Without thinking, Maya launched herself at them, pushing them both out of the way, and the world going dark.

"Maya!" Theo yelled from the ground as a supporting beam from the ceiling fell on Maya's legs.

"Crap, crap, crap." He muttered, getting up and kneeling next to the unconscious firefighter. "We need help, Bishop's down and pinned. I got the two civilians, but this house is coming down soon." Ruiz shouted into the walkie talkie.

"Get those people out, we're sending in help now Ruiz." Beckett ordered. As much as Theo didn't want to leave Maya, he knew Maya would want him to help the women before her.

Theo helped the two women out of the building and they were immediately met by paramedics. Once the women were being taken care of, Ruiz bolted right back into the building.

•••

"I see her." Herrera shouted as her, Hughes, and Beckett ran into the building. The three of them surrounded Maya and knelt down.

"She has a pulse, it's weak, but it's there." Vic said in relief.

"We don't have time for an extraction team, we're gonna have to pull and pull hard." Beckett said, looking at the large beam on Maya's legs.

The firefighters pulled hard at the beam, and Ruiz came running in. "Move her, Theo!" Hughes yelled, voice strained.

Theo was able to carefully pull Maya out from under the beam, and the firefighters droped it onto the ground.

"We gotta go, now!" Andy yelled, seeing parts of the building start to cave in. Ruiz quickly and as careful as possible scooped up Maya in his arms and they all ran out.

•••

"Maya Bishop, 32, injured on scene. Possible crush injuries in the abdomen and legs from a ceiling beam coming down on her. Loss of consciousness during the incident, has not regained it since." Andy said as she hopped out of the ambulance.

"Oh, crap. Someone page Grey,  Shepherd and Link, get them down here. Let's get her to Trauma 2!" Dr Bailey shouted.

Andy and her fellow firefighters from 19 watched as Maya was wheeled into the trauma bay, not really knowing what to do. They were firefighters; they were supposed to help and protect their own. But they couldn't do that right now.

"One of us needs to tell Carina." Andy said, breaking the silence. "I will." Warren volunteered, going off to find her.

"We should go wait in the waiting room." Theo suggested, knowing they were doing no good standing in the middle of the ER.

Amelia and Meredith came running down, followed by Link, and immediately starting assessing Maya. "Let's go." Vic said.

•••

"Can you page Dr. DeLuca for me?" Ben asked one of the nurses. She nodded and quickly did so.

Minutes after, Ben saw Carina, walking towards him with a smile on her face. "Hi Ben. What's up?" Carina asked curiously.

"Listen, I need to tell you something, and I need you not to freak out." Ben said calmly, watching her carefully for her reaction.

"Okay. What is it?" Carina asked, a pit forming in her stomach. "Maya was hurt on scene today. She's in the ER, Miranda, Amelia, and Meredith are working on her. I don't know the extent of it, but she hasn't regained consciousness since it happened." Ben explained.

Carina stood there, processing everything he just told her, and before he could saw anything, Carina took off.

"What's going on?" Carina demanded as she immediately saw her unconscious wife laying on the bed.

"Someone get her out of here." Bailey said, looking at the ultrasound. "I'm not leaving. What's wrong?" Carina insisted.

"Looks like her right ankle is fractured, along with a few minor burns." Link said. "I'm seeing some free fluid in the abdomen, not enough to go in yet, but we'll have to keep an eye on it." Bailey said.

Amelia opened her mouth to speak, but a quiet whimper stopped her. "Hi, Maya, you're okay. You're in the hospital and we're gonna take good care of you." Amelia said with a smile.

"Carina?" Maya asked, disoriented. "I'm right here, Bambina." Carina said, coming to her side and grabbing her hand.

"Her pupils look good, and there's no sign of a brain bleed. I want to get a CT for sure and keep her for observation." Amelia said.

Before long, Maya was back asleep, and she was being rolled into a room for the night after her CT.

Carina along with all of Maya's coworkers and friends filed in her room. 19 was a family, and there was no way they weren't leaving until Maya woke up and was okay.

They were a family.