Maya's Dad Shows Up At The Apartment

Maya sighed from her spot at the couch, hearing a knock at the door. It was only 5pm, but she had just gotten off of a long shift and the last thing she wanted was someone knocking at her door.

Maya swung the door open, half expecting it to be Carina forgetting her keys or Andy or something. The last person she was expecting was none other than her father.

"What are you doing here?" Maya asked sharply, trying to fight off the panicky feeling that she always felt around her father.

"Hey, what's with the tone? I just wanted to talk to you about the captain thing. I heard that the Chief is considering new Lieutenants for captain." Lane said, stepping aside Maya and letting himself inside the apartment.

"Dad-" Maya started, "So? You gonna get your job back or what?" Lane asked with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Uh, no. Dad, it's been a really long day, can you maybe come back some other time?" Maya replied shortly, not making eye contact with him.

"What do you mean no?" The older Bishop shot back. Maya sighed, running her hand over her temples.

"I don't want my captaincy back right now. I have more important things to worry about, like repairing my relationship with my wife." The firefighter explained.

"Your wife? You're still with her? You know what, she brainwashed you because the Maya I knew before was determined. The Maya I knew wouldn't put her career on hold because of a little crush." Lane scoffed.

"No, the Maya you knew before was cold, closed off, and scared and that was all because of you. Wanna know something? I'm in therapy 3 times a week now. I had a mental breakdown and I was in the psych ward for three days because I almost killed myself from embracing the pain. And I know you think I'm a loser for it, but I don't care anymore. My wife saved my life that day and I owe her everything." Maya said, raising her voice.

Lane stood there for a moment, just staring at her in disbelief and Maya held his gaze confidently.

"You can insult me all you want, but do not ever insult her again." Maya added firmly.

"Hey, bambina, I-" A familiar voice started, stepping into the kitchen where the two Bishop's were standing.

"Maya?" Carina asked, her brow furrowing in concern as she eyed Maya's pathetic excuse for a father.

"He was just leaving." Maya said, not looking away from Lane. Lane scoffed before turning on his foot and leaving the apartment.

"Maya?" Carina repeated, seeing her wife inhale deeply and exhale. The Italian walked in front of Maya, putting her hands on the sides of Maya's face and looking into those ocean blue eyes.

Maya wrapped her arms around her wife and nuzzled her face into Carina's neck. "I'm okay. I just....need a minute." She said, muffled.

Carina held Maya's head against her and rubbed her back gently, knowing that Maya had to ground herself again.

The OB knew Maya always got really worked up and stressed and anxious anytime her father made an appearance, and all she wanted to do now was help the blonde relax and unwind.

"Why don't you go take a nice shower and I'll make some dinner, hm?" Carina asked, pulling away slightly to look the firefighter in the eyes.

"Can you come with me?" Maya asked, "Not for that," she added quickly, "I just....want you close."

Carina's gaze softened and she ran her thumb over Maya's cheek softly. "Of course. Go start the shower and I'll order. Chinese okay?"

Maya nodded before slipping away to the bathroom.

•••

Shortly after, Carina stepped into the bathroom as well, quickly ridding her clothes and sliding into the shower, arms going around Maya's waist from behind.

Maya leaned back into the embrace, feeling her wife's body up against hers. "It's just us, bambina. You can relax. He's gone and it's just us." Carina whispered, feeling that the blonde was still tense. She hated that Lane had that affect on Maya.

"I know, I'm sorry." The firefighter exhaled, turning in Carina's arms. "No apologizing, bella. It's a trauma response, you know that."

Maya sighed, exhaustion getting the best of her. "Let me take care of you, bambina." Carina murmured, squeezing a dollop of shampoo onto her hand and gently massaging it into Maya's scalp.

After they finished in the shower, Carina coaxed Maya over to the couch. Once the food was delivered, she put a plate together for Maya and herself and joined her on the couch.

Maya leaned her head onto Carina's shoulder, and for the first time in the day, she felt at peace and she felt relaxed.

Carina was her home.