Maya and Her Son

When Andrew Deluca-Bishop was brought into the world, Maya felt a love she'd never felt before. It was different from her love for her brother or her mom, or her love for Carina.

It felt like she had a separate heart running outside of her body.

So, as Maya rocked gently on the rocking chair, cradling their newborn son, she spent time studying every inch of his face and every little detail.

Andrew had dark, wispy hair like Carina, but big, blue eyes like Maya. He was a perfect mix between the two wives. He was perfect.

Maya was doing skin to skin, and her son was content, asleep on her chest. Maya, though Carina had delivered, was exhausted. Her stress and anxiety levels were off the chart today, and she let herself close her eyes.

•••

Carina woke up to a quiet room, and immediately looked around for her son.

And when she spotted him and her wife, her heart melted in her chest. To think that Maya didn't know if she would be a good mother or not was beyond her.

A knock at the door took her out of her thoughts, and she turned.

"Hey!" Vic exclaimed, Carina quickly shushing her as she nodded towards the sleeping duo.

"Firehouse baby!" Vic said quieter, grinning at the sight. Andy, Jack, Travis, Ben, and Sullivan all filed in behind her.

"I don't think I've ever seen Bishop so relaxed." Sullivan commented. "I was relaxed before you all barged in." Maya said, surprising everyone as she cracked an eye open.

"Congratulations, you guys." Andy said, almost tearing up. To see her best friend grow into a wide and mother from where she came from was extraordinary, and she was so proud of Maya.

"Do you guys want to hold him?" Maya asked, standing up carefully. "Dibs! Me first!" Travis shouted, startling the baby.

"Wash your hands first." Maya said, sitting on the end of Carina's bed. The firefighters all raced each other to the sink, while the new moms watched in amusement.

Travis got back the fastest and Maya carefully put the newborn in his arms. "Meet Andrew. Andrew, meet Uncle Travis." Maya said with a smile.

"Watch his head." Carina said worriedly. Maya squeezed her hand and watched as Travis talked to the baby quietly.

Travis, begrudgingly, passed baby Andrew to Vic and so on. By the time each of the firefighters held the baby, Andrew was getting fussy.

Andy gently put Andrew back into Maya's arms. Andrew recognized his mother, and he stopped crying soon after.

"You're a natural, Maya. Who would've thought you would be married and have a kid before all of us?" Andy asked with a smile.

"Definitely not me." Maya said, cheeks turning pink as she looked down at her son. "We'll give you three some alone time. Congratulations." Vic said, hugging the two of them carefully before all leaving the room.

"I love you both so much." Maya said, kissing her sons little head and kissing Carina's forehead.