Family

"You know, Dad, you should probably wait at home for me. I have to go." Maya said, turning to walk back to her team.

"Don't raise your voice at me!" Lane Bishop yelled, ducking under the caution tape and taking a step closer to her.

"Dad, interfering with emergency personnel is a crime and I am not gonna ask you again." Maya said firmly.

"Are you threatening me?" Lane snapped. "I am in charge and I am ordering you to leave my scene." She said. "What did you say?" The older man asked, stepping closer.

"You heard me." Maya said, turning her back when she suddenly felt a yank on her hair. Lane grabbed her by the jacket and didn't hesitate to throw a punch, hitting Maya square in the jaw.

Maya fell to the ground, and before she knew it, her team and other officers were tackling Lane to the ground.

Maya staggered to her feet, bringing her hand to her cheek and feeling the warm blood ooze. Maya cursed to herself, trying to shake away the throbbing in her head as she turned back to her team.

"You okay?" Warren asked as he rushed over to her. "I'm fine." Maya said, shrugging him off. "Maya, we're just wrapping up. Sit down. You might have a concussion." Ben tried.

"I'm fine, Warren." She insisted, walking off. Ben sighed and sent a quick text to Carina, knowing that Maya would probably try to keep things under wraps, but someone had to keep an eye on her if she did have a concussion.

•••

Carina sighed as she left her patients room. It was her 8th laboring mom of the day, and she was exhausted to say the least.

All she wanted to do was go home to her wife, have some dinner and some wine, and curl up on the couch and watch movies.

However, Carina knew that would not be the case when Ben Warren called her out of the blue.

"Ciao Ben, what's going on?" Carina asked, a pit forming in her stomach.

"Hi Carina. Um, it's notning too serious, but I just wanted to let you know that Maya's father paid a visit to a scene today and decided to throw a punch. She insists she's fine, but she does have a gash on her cheek and I wouldn't be surprised if she has a concussion." Ben explained over the phone.

"Oh mio dio. Did she lose consciousness all?" Carina asked. "No, but she staggered when she got up. We'll be back at the station in about 10 minutes if you want to come. She did threaten to make us do drills if we told you, but I figured you should know." He said.

"Si, grazie for telling me. I'll be there in a little bit." Carina said, breathing out a sigh of relief. "No problem." Ben replied, hanging up.

•••

Carina kept her word and about 30 minutes after the phone call, she arrived at the Station. "Shes in her office." Vic said from behind the desk, knowing exactly why she was there.

Carina nodded and knocked on Maya's door twice softly before letting herself in. "Bambina?" She asked, setting eyes on her wife, who was sitting at her desk, head in her hands and eyes closed.

Maya looked up and her gaze hardened. "Oh my god, I told them not to call you!" Maya exclaimed, rolling her eyes.

"I'm glad they called me. What happened?" Carina asked, brow furrowed in concern as she made her way next to Maya.

"My dad just got a little physical. Not a big deal." Maya said dismissively, looking back down to her paperwork.

"Maya, you're papa hit you. That is a big deal. Did you get checked out?" Carina asked, heart aching at the fact that her girlfriend was so quick to dismiss her injuries.

"Ben looked at it. I'm fine, really." The firefighter insisted. "So, you're really going to tell me that you don't have a headache right now?" The Italian asked, eyebrow raised.

Maya opened her mouth to protest, but quickly shut it. "Maybe a little one. But it's fine. I'm fine." Maya repeated.

Carina sighed. "You probably have a slight concussion, Bella. You need to come home and rest. Your shift is over soon anyways. The rest of the team will hold down the tent for the day."

"Hold down the fort," Maya corrected, "Carina, I can finish my shift." 

Carina just stared at her, right into her eyes and Maya eventually sighed. "Fine." She grunted, standing up, swaying on her feet for a second.

Carina was quick to her side. "Dizzy?" She asked knowingly, wrapping her arm around the shorter woman's waist. "A little." Maya admitted with a sigh.

It was hard for Maya to let people in and help her, but Carina was glad that she wasn't fighting it right now.