What If Maya Wasn't On A Call

Vic smiled when she saw Carina standing at the door, a box in her hands and she hurried over to get the door.

"Hey!" Vic exclaimed as the Italian put the box onto the counter and smiled. "What brings you in here today?" Vic asked with a knowing smile. It wasn't a clinic day, and she knew Carina knew that.

"Well, I could have waited for the next clinic day to bring this up, but-"

"But you wanted to see Maya." Vic finished, a grin on her face. "Guilty. It's like I have a crush on her or something." Carina replied, blushing slightly.

"Go get your girl." Vic said, gesturing to barn where Maya was polishing one of the trucks. Carina smiled appreciatively and walked into the barn.

"Carina. Hey. Hi. How's it....Hi." Maya stammered, Carina being the last person she expected to see today.

Carina smiled in amusement at her wife's sudden nervousness. "Hello, bella." She said warmly. "Um...what are you...are you okay? It's not a clinic day, is it?" Maya asked curiously.

"Well, I could lie and say I had to stock supplies," She began, gesturing to the box in her arms. "But I wanted to see you." Carina admitted.

Maya's cheeks turned pink and she smiled. "I've wanted to see you, too, it's just...I'm trying to give you space like you asked." Maya said, feeling guilty for not reaching out first.

"It's okay; I asked for space, and you're giving it. Thank you. So, how's your day going?" Carina asked, stepping closer to Maya, subtlety admiring her wife in her uniform.

"Pretty good. Slow. I'm on desk duty with Vic, so..." Maya trailed off. "Um, I was just about to go get lunch upstairs. Want to come?" She offered.

Carina nodded and held out a hand for Maya to take. The blonde did so, quickly, and led them both upstairs.

"I won't make lasagna this time, I promise." Maya said, making both of them laugh. "I'll teach you how to make it right someday, bella, don't worry." Carina promised as Maya whipped up two sandwiches.

"So, are you off shift today or what?" Maya asked as she sat down next to Carina at the counter and took a bite of her sandwich.

"Si. Tomorrow, Dr Montgomery is coming and we are opening the clinic to abortions and pre-natal care, so it will be a long day." Carina explained.

"Dr Montgomery? That's, uh, Amelia's sister in law, yeah?" Maya asked. Carina nodded. "Kind of. It was Amelia's brother's first wife, but then they got divorced and he remarried. She's one of my idols." The Italian explained.

"Do I need to talk to this Dr. Montgomery?" Maya asked, teasingly. "I only have eyes for you, bella, you know that." Carina responded flirtatiously.

Maya's eyes darted down to Carina's lips, wanting so badly to kiss them, but knowing that that would be too fast for them.

"Good." Maya whispered, tearing her eyes away from her lips and ignoring the heat her body was producing.

"How is the investigation going for the training incident?" Carina asked, hearing about it through the hospital.

Maya sighed. "I don't know much seeing as I wasn't there, but it sounds like to me that Beckett was definitely drunk. They had the team give statements today, so I guess we'll find out soon."

"I hope he gets fired. I do not like the idea of you serving a drunk fire captain." The Italian admitted. "I do too, but I feel guilty. When...when I was really messed up, I-I gave Beckett a bottle of whiskey. I feel like it's my fault that Cooper died." Maya admitted.

Carina froze for a moment, surprised at the blondes admittance. She pondered for a moment, considering what to say. "Maya, what you did may have been wrong, but you did not make him drink the bottle, let alone make him drink it on the job." Carina said thoughtfully.

"I know. I...I talked about it with Diane the other day, so I'm working on it." Maya said. Carina smiled. The fact that Maya was still seeing Diane even though she was back to full duty made her hopeful and happy.

"I'm glad you're talking to her, bambina." The OB said softly. "Me too." Maya said, smiling at her wife gently.

Carina opened her mouth to say something, getting cut off by Vic. "Bishop, DeLuca, we need you down here now!" The other firefighter shouted.

"Back to work." Maya said, hurrying downstairs, Carina hot on her tail.