Lane and Carina Meet (And It Doesn't Go Well)

Carina sighed as she laid back into her chair. It was a slow clinic day, to say the least. She had only seen 3 patients in the last 3 hours they'd been open, and she was bored. 

Maya wasn't there, either, as she had been on back to back calls. So, it was her, Jack, and Warren at the station.

Carina whipped her head towards the garage entrance at the sound of someone clearing their throat, and she froze.

It was one of the few people she hated; Lane Bishop.

Lane set his eyes on the woman and approached her. "Mr Bishop, how can I help you?" Carina asked in her most professional tone.

Lane furrowed his brow. He doesn't think he knows this woman, so how does she know his name?

Noticing his confusion, Carina spoke up. "Dr Carina DeLuca. Maya's wife." She said, holding out her hand politely.

Lane scoffed, ignoring her hand. "Is Maya here?" He asked, looking around.

"No, she is on a call. Is there anything I can help you with?" Carina asked.

"Yeah, no. I'll just wait for her to get back." The man replied, moving to the corner of the garage.

Carina groaned out loud. Lane occasionally made appearances to the station, and she knew Maya hated it every time. It constantly stressed Maya out knowing he sporadically showed up often.

Pulling out her phone, she decided to first call Maya and she if she would answer.

"Hey, babe. What's up?" Maya asked, answering on the third ring. "Oh, not much. Boring day here. But, uh, your father is here." The Italian replied.

"What? Why? Are you okay?" Maya asked, shooting off questions left and right. As said, Lane causes Maya a ton of anxiety.

"Si, I'm fine, bella. I do not know why he's here. He just said he was going to wait for you to come back. Are you on your way?"

"Yeah, we'll be back in a few minutes." Maya replied, inhaling deeply and exhaling slowly. "I can try to get him to leave?" Carina offered. 

"No, don't bother. He's just gonna say something homophobic and ignore you." The firefighter explained as the fire truck came to a halt outside.

Carina hung up the phone, hearing the truck, and walked outside.

"Where is he?" Maya asked quickly, looking around her. "He's inside. Take a breath, bambina." Carina said, putting her hands on Maya's biceps and squeezing assuringly to try to calm her wife's nerves.

Maya looked into Carina's eyes and sighed. "I wonder what he wants this time." Maya mumbled, pressing her forehead against Carina's collarbone as the Italian wrapped her arms around Maya.

"It'll be okay, bella." Carina said. Maya pecked her lips quickly before pulling away. "I should go talk to him. I'll be back." Maya said, smiling quickly before turning and leaving.

Maya took a deep breath before approaching her father. "Dad." Maya said, looking up at him. "Maya. Hey. Just met your wife for the first time." Lane said amusedly.

"Great. Why are you here?" Maya replied, getting straight to the point. "What's with the attitude? How about you properly introduce me to your...foreign, lesbian lover?" Lane asked.

Maya groaned. "Don't talk about her like that?If you just came here to insult me and my family then you can leave." She said, turning to walk away.

"Don't walk away from me, young lady." Lane said, catching her arm and grabbing it. Maya turned around and ripped her arm out of his grasp.

"What do you want, Lane?" Maya asked tiredly. She was so sick of showing up and saying rude things. She was done with him.

"Lane, huh? We're on first name basis now?" He asked, chuckling depreciatingly, "I heard about your demotion. I thought I taught you better than this. You're a loser, Maya. I didn't raise you to be a loser."

"Get out." Maya said, looking up at him confidently, though she was a little scared. "

"What?" Lane asked, almost as if he didn't hear her. "I said get out. I'm not gonna sit around and listen to you talk bad about me." Maya said, her voice shaking a little.

"You better watch your tone around me, kid." Lame threatened, his finger pointing at her as he took a step closer to her.

"You should probably do what she says." Carina said, coming to Maya's side. She had been quietly eavesdropping, and she didn't like where this conversation was going.

"I'm not gonna let some gay immigrant lady tell me what to do," Lane said, raising his voice. "Why don't you do us both a favor and go back to Italy?" He added, getting face to face with Carina.

"Don't talk about her like that." Maya said, shoving herself between her wife and Lane and pushing him back. Maya wasn't one to get physical, but she wasn't about to let Lane throw insults to Carina.

Lane was quick to shove Maya back, and she stumbled into Carina. "Maya." Carina said, worried at what was going down.

"Get outta here, jackass. You don't come into our firehouse and put your hands on a firefighter." Jack said bluntly, Dean and Warren at his side having seen the altercation go down.

"You're pathetic, Maya. Pathetic." Lane scoffed before shrugging off the male firefighters and leaving.

"I'm sorry. Are you okay?" Maya asked as soon as Lane was out of sight, turning to Carina and looking her up and down anxiously.

"I'm fine, Maya. Come here," Carina said, pulling her into the bunk room. "Are you okay? He put his hands on you." The Italian asked, echoing Maya's words.

"I'm fine. I'm sorry about what he said. He's just....I'm sorry." Maya apologized.

"Don't apologize for him, bella." Carina said firmly. "But I-"

"No buts. You are nothing like him, Maya. You aren't responsible for his words and actions. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay." Maya said, sighing as she walked into Carina's arms.