Lane Makes Maya Pay pt. 2

A few hours later, Maya started to stir. Carina immediately noticed and grabbed the blondes hand.

"Take your time, bambina. I'm here." Carina whispered, noticing Maya's breathing pattern change.

Slowly, Maya's ocean blue eyes opened and Carina found herself smiling at the sight. "Hi, bella." Carina whispered, eyes welling up in relief.

"Hi." Maya replied, her voice hoarse as she winced. "What hurts, Maya?" Carina asked, part of her just expecting Maya to pretend she's fine.

"M-my head is pounding and-and my stomach feel like it's on fire." The blonde said bluntly, shifting in the bed and wincing once again.

"Oh, bambina. Let me get the doctors in here." Carina said soothingly, kissing Maya's forehead.

As the two waited on Maya's surgeons, Carina didn't fail to notice the way Maya's fingers tapped anxiously on the bed, or the way her eyes flickered out to the hall every few seconds.

Maya was scared, and it broke Carina's heart.

"Hey, firefighter barbie. Was hoping I wouldn't see you in here for a while, no offense." Amelia said with a smile as she walked in.

"Me too." Maya said with a small laugh, though Carina could hear the sadness in her tone.

Bailey and Link followed after Amelia and they all gathered around Maya's bed.

"Alright, Bishop. So, when you came in you presented with internal bleeding just based on the bruising. We went in and resolved that, and we want to keep you for a few days to see that everything heals right." Bailey explained.

"I went in and placed screws to keep your ribs in place. It's gonna hurt to breathe for a while, but theres really nothing else we can do for that aside from pain meds." Link said.

"And finally, you, my very attractive firefighting friend, have a solid grade 3 concussion. There was no signs of brain bleed on the CT, so neurologically you're okay." Amelia smirked.

Maya just nodded and leaned back into the pillows. "Are you in pain?" The neurosurgeon asked.

Last time she was here, Maya would have lied and said no. But by working with Diane for the last few months, Maya learned it was okay to admit weakness.

The blonde just nodded. Since Lane decided to attack her, her brain was reverting to the 'eyes forward' type of thinking. She didn't want it to happen, but he really scared her.

Amelia smiled sympathetically and had a nurse inject some more pain meds. "We'll be back to check on you in a few hours. We're glad you're okay, Bishop." Bailey said with a nod before the surgeons left the room.

"Is he here?" Maya asked, eyes staring absently across the room. "He is." Carina replied, grabbing Maya's hand and squeezing.

"What happened to him?" The blonde asked. She honestly didn't really care, but he was her father. Even if he was abusive and she shouldnt care, he was her father and she cared.

"I am not sure. I can go ask if you want." The Italian offered. "No! Don't leave me." Maya said quickly, grasping on to Carina's hand tighter.

"Okay, I won't. I'm right here." Carina replied, not expecting that reaction. Maya being clingy wasn't a very common occurrence, but Carina didn't mind it at all.

"Can you lay with me?" Maya asked, her voice showing a vulnerability that was rare coming from Maya.

"I don't want to hurt you, bella." Carina answered hesitantly.

"Please. I just...I'm...Im scared." Maya admitted, looking down at her lap and breaking eye contact. 

"Oh, bambina." Carina sighed sympathetically, her heart breaking for her wife. Maya carefully moved over to the edge of the bed, trying not to wince and discourage Carina.

The OB climbed into the bed next to Maya, and Maya immediately curled into her side, head nuzzled into Carina's chest.

Carina soothingly ran her fingers through Maya's hair. "You're safe here, bambina. I will not let anyone hurt you." She murmured softly.

"I didn't think he would actually hit me," Maya said, seeking comfort in her wife, "he walked in and basically said it was my fault my mom sent him divorce papers and that I ruined the family. Then he just got closer to me and...next thing I know I'm on the ground."

Carina was angry. She was angry and she was sad. Lane Bishop, the man who ruined Maya's childhood, abused her all throughout it, physically assaulted her wife. And she couldn't have done anything about it.

"I know, bella. It's okay." Carina said, wrapping her arms tighter around the firefighter. "I didn't-I didn't mean for this to happen. I didn't want my mom to divorce him, but he-" Maya said, her voice breaking as the tears welled up in her eyes.

"Hey. Look at me, bambina," Carina said, gently lifting Maya's chin up to make eye contact, "what he did, was not your fault. You did not deserve for this to happen, okay? He had no right to hit you like that. This is on him and him only, si?"

Maya nodded. Carina brushed away Maya's tears, and the blonde leant into her hand, wanting to be as close to Carina as possible.

"I love you." Maya whispered, her eyes drooping shut, most likely due to the pain meds she had recieved.

"Ti amo, bella. Sleep. I'll be right here when you wake up." Carina promised, and before she even finished her sentence, Maya was snoring softly.