7x04 - What if Maya Was Working

Maya's day started off fine. Less busy than usual, but she wasn't complaining. All she wanted to do was get home to her wife and sun as soon as possible.

However, she knew that today was a full moon, and full moons always bring out the crazies. She was expecting the day to eventually get busy. When Kate said the "Q" word, though, she knew they were in for a long day.

That long day, ended up not only being long, but emotionally draining. They went on 36 calls, more calls than Maya had ever been on in one day.

The one call where they were only able to save one victim out of all hurt. It wasn't that they medically couldn't help them; they didn't have enough people to help everyone.

When they finally got back to the station around 3am, Maya was exhausted, physically and mentally. Her body was sore from being thrown back during their last call of the day, and watching so many people die today was really affecting her.

After a few hours of laying in her bunk, staring at the ceiling, Maya finally was able to go home around 6am.

Maya unlocked the door to the house and walked in. It was quiet, which meant that Liam was probably still asleep. She quietly made her way into the bedroom, where her eyes met her wife's.

"Hey." Maya said, dropping on the bed on her stomach next to Carina. "Hey." Carina replied, a frown on her face as she looked at Maya's sad, tired eyes.

"How was your shift?" The Italian asked, shifting on her side and rubbing the firefighters back gently.

"Not good. 36 calls. We're stretched so thin we could only save 1 patient out of ten. Everything is a mess." Maya replied with a heavy sigh, lifting her chin up and looking at her wife.

"Oh, Bella. Have you slept at all? Eaten?" Carina asked, brushing a strand of hair out of Maya's face.

"Not really. Haven't had much time between calls and Andy had us doing audits. Budget cuts, apparently." Maya responded, shimmying over to Carina and pressing her face into her wife's chest.

"Do you want me to make you breakfast or would you rather sleep first?" She asked, wrapping her arms around Maya's waist and holding her close.

"Sleep." Maya mumbled, eyes already closed.

While Carina didn't like that Maya had a bad idea, she was grateful that it led to moments like these. Cuddling in bed, talking about their days.

"Ti amo, bambina."