Maya Gets Smoke Inhalation

(set around 6x13)

Station 19 had been called to an apartment building that was on fire. It was a 3 alarm, teetering on the edge of a 4 alarm.

Carina was there, having been called due to a pregnant woman, and she was anxiously helping the patient all while waiting for Maya to come out.

Maya and Andy were sent in to help evacuate, but the building wouldn't be intact for much longer.

"Bishop, Herrera, pull out." Beckett said through the radio.

Inside, Andy had one kid and Maya had one in each of their arms. "Lead the way, Andy." Maya said, feeling the sweat drip down her face.

The two firefighters hustled towards the entrance  of the building, but Maya froze when she heard a voice. "Maya, let's go!" Andy shouted.

"There's another kid in here. Go, I'll be out in a second!" Maya replied, "Call out again!"

Andy didn't want to leave Maya, but she had the kid in her own arms to think about, so she turned around and bolted.

"Help!" A small voice cried again. Maya walked carefully though the debris and eventually saw a little boy, huddled in the corner.

Maya crouched down and put the other kid in her arms on the ground. "Hey, buddy. Let's get you out of here." She said, frowning when the boy began to cough.

Maya took off her helmet and put the oxygen on to the boys face. She shrugged off her turncoat, and put it over the older boys. "Keep these on, and hold on to me." she said to the kids, picking them up and running.

Her lungs were burning as she sprinted towards the door. The smoke was making her eyes water.

She got outside, and immediately ran them over to the aid truck, where Vic and Warren were standing.

"Take them." Maya gasped, handing the kids over as she fought to take in a breath.

The kids were barely out of her arms before Maya collapsed to her hands and knees, gasping frantically.

"Maya." Vic said, kneeling down and helping Maya onto her back. Maya panted and coughed, desperately trying to get fresh air but failing.

"Okay, okay, easy Maya," Vic said, looking up and spotting Warren. "Get me an oxygen mask and intubation kit just in case."

Ben did so quickly, and Vic was quick to start heavy flow oxygen for Maya.

"Do you need a gurney or you think you can get up?" Ben asked a few minutes later, watching as Maya's oxygen and pulse ox monitor slowly increased.

"I can get up." Maya said, her voice hoarse as Vic and Ben supported her sides. Maya shakily stood up and slid onto the gurney, her lungs burning once again from the effort.

"Try to relax, Maya. We need to check your airway." Ben said as the blonde laid back into the bed.

Maya didn't have the energy to argue, and just accepted the oxygen mask she desperately needed. It really did help her.

Ben checked her airway and did find a good amount of soot, but not bad enough to need of intubation.

"Maya." A voice said from outside of the aid car. Maya opened her eyes quickly and saw her wife standing outside.

"Hi." Maya said, wheezing a bit as she pulled off the oxygen mask to talk.

"Don't talk, bambina," Carina said, stepping inside the ambulance. Maya smiled at the term of endearment and watched Carina grab her hand.

"Is she okay, Ben?" The Italian asked, having watched the whole thing. "She has a moderate to severe case of smoke inhalation and her oxygen levels are still pretty low around 70. I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey makes her stay overnight." The doctor/firefighter explained.

Carina frowned at her low oxygen level and ran her hand soothingly over Maya's soot covered forehead. Maya's eyes fluttered shut,  but quickly opened.

"Sleep if you need to, bella. Don't fight it. I will be right here when you wake up." Carina said, watching Maya struggle to stay away.

Maya pulled off the mask once again, much to Ben and Carina's chagrin. "I love you." Maya whispered. Carina smiled. "I love you too, bambina."

•••

Hours later, Maya began to stir. She opened her eyes, wincing at the harsh fluorescent light of the hospital.

"Hi, bella. How are you feeling?" Carina asked, looking into Maya's bright blue eyes. The firefighters oxygen mask was replaced with a nasal cannula, which Maya appreciated.

"Better now that you're here." Maya said flirtatiously, grinning.

"When can I get out of here?" Maya added, sitting up slightly. "I pulled some strings with Teddy and she agreed to let you out of here whenever as long as you have someone with you to keep an eye on you." Carina explained.

"Oh." Maya answered. Carina sighed. "I told her I would stay with you and make sure you rest. I...I am ready to come home bambina."

"Really?" Maya asked, smiling ear to ear. "Si. We need to take it slow, but I don't want to spend another night without you." The Italian said with a shy smile.

"Me either. Come here." Maya said, opening her arms. Carina didn't hesitate to wrap her arms around her wife.

"I'm glad you're okay." She whispered, only inches between them. "I'm glad you were there."