Diane Meets Lane Bishop Unexpectedly

Maya's brow furrowed as she heard a knock at the door. Checking the time, it was only 11:45. Diane wasn't supposed to come until 12:00.

She made her way over to the door and opened it, her chest immediately getting tight at the sight.

"Hey, kiddo." Lane said with a tight lipped smile. "Uh, hi, D-dad." Maya replied. This was a really bad time for him to show up. She was working on undoing everything he instilled on her as a child; trying to undo the trauma he caused her.

"You gonna let your old man in or what?" Lane asked, not waiting for her to answer and just stepping past her and into the apartment.

Maya shut the door behind her, trying to figure out what to do. She didn't want him here.

"Dad, now's not really a good time. I have someone coming soon, and-" Maya began.

"Someone coming? Why aren't you working? You know, you wonder why you got demoted and it's honestly no surprise." Lane scoffed, looking at his daughter.

"I'm on leave right now. Please, dad, you have to go." The firefighter tried, to no avail. "Leave? What the hell could you possibly be on leave for?"  Lane asked in disgust.

"I....I'm not okay. I'm trying to...get better. And I have to get cleared to go back to work." Maya admitted in a small voice that only he brought out.

"What happened to embracing the pain, huh? Just gave up on everything I taught you?" Lane asked disapprovingly.

"No, dad, I....I don't need to explain myself to you. Get out." Maya said, breathing shakily.

Lane took a step towards her. "Excuse me?"

"I said get out. You....you're the reason I'm...Im broken. And I'm trying to fix myself and I can't with you in my life. So please, get out." Maya said, her voice wavering.

Lane scoffed and shoved her backwards. "I don't like the way your talking to me, young lady. Show some goddamn respect."

Maya was scared. Lane never laid hands on her except for the hair pulling incident. This was new territory for him. And she didn't know what to do.

"You're pathetic. I thought I taught you better than this. But no. You're just a waste of space on this earth, just like your brother. I mean, look at you. All skin and bones. No muscles. I don't know why I ever put time into you. Let's be real, Maya, I made you. Without me, you would be nothing. You're a piece of scum who-" Lane went on, backing Maya into a wall and cornering her.

"Enough!"

•••

Diane climbed up the stairs to none other than Maya Bishop's apartment. The therapist was proud of the firefighters progress. Maya was anything if not determined, and she was working hard.

Diane got to the door and saw that the door was cracked open. She frowned, knowing that Maya wasn't the type to leave a door open like that.

When Diane heard the raised voices, she didn't hesitate to walk into the room.

Her eyes widened at the sight in front of her. A man, she presumed to be Maya's father, stood tall in front of Maya and was saying horrible things.

"Enough!" Diane intervened, stepping towards the pair. Diane stepped in front of Maya, who was clearly stuck in her head, and addressed the man.

"Hi, I don't know who you are, but you need to leave." Diane said sternly. "Excuse me, but I'm her father." Lane said.

"And you're clearly causing her distress. I need you to leave before I call the cops and they make you leave. Understand?" The therapist asked wit. a serious look.

Lane rolled his eyes but backed off. Diane followed him as he walked out the door, and locked it behind her.

Her heart nearly broke when she saw Maya sat up against the wall, fingers blocking her ears, tears streaming down her face.

Diane crouched down slowly next to Maya and put her arm on Maya's knee, trying to ground her.

"It's okay, Maya. You are okay. He's gone." Diane murmured, and continuing to do so as the blondes cries lessened.

"I'm...Im okay." Maya said, wiping the last year away and looking at Diane. "You're okay." Diane smiled softly.

"Thank you." Maya said as she stood up on shaky legs. "Did he hurt you?" Diane asked. "Not...not physically. He just said some things. You heard." Maya replied.

"Want to talk about the things he said?" The therapist offered.

"...Yeah." Maya replied with a shaky inhale.