Maya Has A Seizure

Things for Maya Bishop has recently been...stressful, to say the least. With work and her demotion, her fathers sporadic appearances, and trying to please a captain who didn't like her, things have been hard.

Maya sighed as she made her cup of coffee. Today, her and Carina both had the day off, but her mind was still racing, thoughts bouncing off each other rapidly.

Carina was sitting on the couch, drinking a cup of coffee when she heard a loud thump. She quickly got off the couch and into the kitchen, her eyes widening at the sight.

Maya was on the ground, eyes closed, laying still. "Bambina?" Carina asked, heart racing as she knelt down next to her seemingly unconscious wife.

She took her pulse, relieved to find a strong one, but that relief was cut short as Maya's body started convulsing uncontrollably.

Carina wasted no time in turning Maya on her side, letting her ride out the seizure. Her mind was racing. What could've caused the seizure? Tumor? Trauma to the brain on a call?

A minute later, the seizure stopped and Maya's body relaxed. Carina gently laid Maya back down and shakily grabbed her phone from her pocket.

Carina dialed 911, but her attention was brought to her wife, who's blue eyes were now open. "C-Carina? What..." Maya trailed off, confused as to why she was laying on the floor.

"It's okay, Bambina. You had a seizure." Carina soothed, checking Maya's pulse once again. "A seizure? W-why?" Maya asked, sitting up, ignoring the pounding in her head.

"I am not sure, Maya, but we need to go to the hospital and get a head CT. I will call an ambulance. Just try to relax." The Italian replied, picking up her phone again.

"No, no ambulance. We can just go in. I'm okay." Maya protested, standing up to prove a point.

Maya swayed on her feet for a second, and Carina was quick to steady her. Carina said, knowing Maya wouldn't budge. "Fine. Let's go."

•••

Carina quickly drove to the ER and got Maya checked in. They were currently waiting for someone to come in.

"Firefighter Barbie." Amelia smirked as she stepped into the room. Maya's lips twitched upward and she rolled her eyes.

"Hello, Amelia." Carina said with a smile. Amelia grinned and looked to Maya. "So, what's going on?" Amelia asked, snapping to doctor mode.

Maya looked to Carina as she didn't really remember what happened. "She was making coffee and passed out, I think. I came in and she was on the floor then started seizing."  Carina explained, squeezing Maya's hand.

"Okay. Have you ever had a seizure before?" Amelia asked, checking her pupils. Maya hesitated before speaking, getting a confused look from Carina.

"I had one when I was a kid. Probably 12, right before a track meet." Maya replied, avoiding Carina's eyes.

"That's not in your medical record." Amelia said. "Yeah, I, uh, didn't go to the hospital. I-I had to run the race." The firefighter admitted.

Carina's heart squeezed for her wife. No doubt that was Lane Bishop's doing. "Okay. Well, your pupils look fine, but I want a CT to rule out anything." Amelia said.

•••

Maya was brought into the CT tunnel, and Carina and Amelia were in the scan room. "I cannot believe her papa made her run a race after having a seizure." Carina said, trying to wrap her mind around it.

"Yeah, that's....not okay." Amelia agreed, her, too struggling to find words to describe something like that.

"Scans are up." The tech said, bringing the two women's attention to the screen. Amelia studied it for a moment, Carina anxiously awaiting the determination.

"Scan is negative. Theres no sign of a tumor or anything." Amelia said. Carina breathed a sigh of relief. "Then what caused the seizure?" She asked.

"If I had to guess, stress. There's no physical reason why, so probably mental. Is she under a lot of stress at work at the moment?" Amelia asked.

"Si, she's been working hard trying to climb the ranks and her Captain is not making that easy. Her father also made an appearance earlier this week." Carina replied, everything clicking in her brain.

"That would be why. I can prescribe her xanax, but only to try to calm that stress and anxiety when it gets really bad. Seeing as this is the first seizure she's had in over 20 years, I doubt she'll have to use it much." Amelia explained.

"Perfecto. Grazie, Amelia." Carina said with a smile as the two of them retrieved Maya from the tunnel.