Mason Dies

Maya sighed as she sat back in her chair, having barely made a dent in the mountain of paperwork she had to get through.

She was tired and cranky, and she just wanted to go home to her girlfriend and sleep, but she still had 5 hours left in shift.

Drawing her attention back to her paperwork she was about to dive back in to, her phone rang and snapped her out of it.

"Hello?" Maya answered, not recognizing the number. "Hi, is this Maya Bishop?" The voice on the line asked.

"Yes." The firefighter responded. "Hi Ms. Bishop, I'm calling from Seattle Presbyterian Hospital. It seems your an emergency contact for a Mason Bishop." The woman began.

"That's-thats my brother. Is he okay?" Maya questioned, heart racing. "I'm afraid not. He came in this afternoon with fatal injuries and passed away. I'm so sorry for your loss." The woman said.

Maya didn't respond, in shock. "How?" She asked shakily. "He was in a single vehicle car accident. It seems he was under the influence."

"Damnit, Mase." Maya whispered under her breath. "His belongings are all here. You can come figure out what to do from here whenever you're ready." The person said softly.

"Okay. Um, thank you. I'll....be in touch." Maya said, hanging up the phone.

It was then she let herself fall apart. Her brother was dead. Her baby brother. The one person she was supposed to protect and love was dead. They may not have spoken or been close, but it was her brother. Her brother.

Maya put her head in her hands and sobbed. She needed to go home. She needed Carina.

Shakily, she pressed Carina's number and brought the phone up to her ear.

"Hi, bambina." Carina's voice rang happily through the phone. "Hey, babe." Maya replied, her voice breaking.

"What's wrong, Maya? Are you okay? What happened?" The OB asked, worried. Maya rarely called during the middle of a shift, let alone called her crying.

"I, um, just got a c-call from Seattle Pres. Mas-Mason's dead." Maya choked out, a sob at her lips once again.

"Oh, bella. I'm so sorry." Carina breathed, not expecting that. She knew the relationship Maya and Mason had was complicated, but that....she wasn't expecting that.

"I don't....um, can you pick me up?" Maya asked, her voice shaking. "Si, bambina. I'll be there in 15 minutes. Do you want me to stay on the phone with you?" The Italian offered, heart aching for her girlfriend as she went to go find Bailey.

"No, it's okay. I'll- I'll see you soon. I love you." Maya said, clearing her throat. "Okay, bambina. Ti amo." Carina said, ending the call.

•••

A little bit later, Carina came into the station, a worried face on. "Hey, Carina. What's wrong?" Andy asked, brown furrowing at the distressed look on her face.

"Where's Maya?" Carina asked. "Her office. Is everything-" Andy began, cutting herself off as Carina quickly went into Maya's office.

"Bambina." Carina sighed, seeing the blonde staring absently. Maya's eyes snapped up to her, and she stood up and launched herself into her girlfriends arms.

"I'm so sorry, bella." Carina whispered soothingly, rubbing Maya's back up and down gently. She knew the pain of losing a sibling; and it hurt.

"We will get through this together, si?" Carina said, pulling back slightly and looking into Maya's teary blue eyes.

Maya nodded and nuzzled her head back into Carinas neck.