6x15 Rewrite

Everything was going smoothly, until it wasn't. It seemed like in a flash Maya was on the roof, venting it, then the roof caved in and she fell.

It was the adrenaline that pushed Maya to get the young teen out of the house, and it was the adrenaline that pushed her to attempt to run back into the house for the old man.

However, now that her coworkers held her back and sat her down on a gurney in the aid car, that adrenaline was wearing off.

And she was feeling the affect after falling through a roof and hitting the ground hard.

"How you doing, Maya?" Vic asked as she adjusted the nasal cannula that was wrapped around Maya's cheekbones.

"Been better." Maya admitted, every bump in the road sending a wave a pain to her abdomen.

"We'll be there in a few minutes. Hang in there." Vic said, putting her hand on Maya's shoulder and squeezing affectionately.

The aid car pulled up to Grey Sloan 5 minutes later and Maya was unloaded onto the ground.

"What did you do now, Bishop?" Bailey asked in concern, helping move the firefighter into a bay.

"I fell through a roof." Maya replied bluntly. "She's got two or three probable broken ribs, along with what could be a fracture in her arm." Vic explained.

"I'll page Link. Do you want me to page Carina, too?" Bailey asked. "Yes, please. Don't make it urgent or anything. I don't want to worry her too much again." The blonde replied quickly.

The doctor nodded and began to take Maya's vitals while they waited.

"Maya?" Carina asked, brow furrowed in concern seeing her wife on the gurney. "Hey, babe." Maya said, sitting up slightly and wincing. "Lay down, Bishop." Bailey scolded, pushing the blonde down gently.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Carina asked, grabbing Maya's hand gently. "I fell through a roof," Maya repeated for the second time, "And probably broke a few ribs and maybe my arm. I'm okay."

"Oh, bambina." Carina breathed, kissing Maya's forehead gently. "We're gonna get Link down here to check her arm, then get x-rays of her ribs and arm." Bailey explained.

"Okay," Carina replied,  blowing out a sigh of relief, "Do you need any painkillers, bella?" Carina asked, smoothing the hair off of Maya's forehead.

"Yeah, please." Maya replied, leaning into her wife's touch. Her ribs were on fire, the slightest movement jostling them, and her arm, though in a sling, was very uncomfortable.

A few minutes later, Link came into the curtained trauma room. 

"Nice to see you again, Maya. How are you feeling?" Link asked while looking through Maya's chart.

"Druggeddddd." Maya giggled. Carina smiled in amusement at her wife, who was clearly feeling the morphine she was given.

"Good. Mind if I take a look at that arm and your ribs?" Link asked, moving over to Maya's left side.

"Go for it." Maya replied, staring off into space.

Link poked around at Maya's arm for a short time before moving on to her ribs.

"Just by looking at it, it seems like a clean break. Obviously, I'll need an x-ray, but assuming it comes up like I think it will, I'll just cast it and you'll be on your way. As for the ribs, Im almost positive a few are broken. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do about that except manage the pain." The orthopedic surgeon explained.

"Okay. Grazie, Link." Carina said gratefully, watching Maya's eyes flutter shut and force back open. "No problem. I'll be back after x-rays if need be." Link smiled before leaving.

"Rest, bambina. They can do the x-rays while you sleep." Carina said, smiling at the adorable way her wife was attempting to stay awake.

"You'll stay?" Maya slurred, exhaustion taking over. "I'll be right here." The Italian assured, watching Maya's eyes grow heavy and her breathing even out.

•••

Almost an hour later, the two women were walking out of the ER. Carina had her arm wrapped around her wife's waist, taking some of the weight off of her, and Maya had her good arm around Carina.

"Thank you for being here." Maya said, leaning into Carina's side. "Thank you for letting me be here."

Carina pulled her car into the apartment parking lot for the first time in a while and looked over to Maya, who was in a light sleep.

"We're home, bambina." Carina whispered, tucking a stray piece of hair behind Maya's ear.

The blonde's blue eyes fluttered open, and she smiled sleepily. Carina went to Maya's side and opened the door for her.

The pair slowly made their way up to the apartment, and the OB sat Maya down on their bed as soon as they entered.

"Do you need anything? Water? Food?" Carina offered. "Just you." Maya replied, somewhat shyly.

Carina smiled softly and laid in bed next to Maya. It had been a while since the two shared a bed, and it was nice to be this intimate with her wife again.

Whether it was the painkillers making her extra clingy, or just the need to be comforted, Maya snuggled up into Carina's side, her head resting on Carina's chest.

"I love you." Maya whispered. "I love you too, bella. I'm glad you're okay."