Carina Takes Care of Maya On A Call

Carina held her breath as she watched the fire roar from the building.

It was a 5-alarm at an apartment complex. The fire began as a simple grease fire, then one thing led to another and the whole building was engulfed in flames.

Now, obviously Carina wouldn't usually be there, but Vic called her because of a pregnant mother expecting twins who was in labor.

However, that was over an hour ago. Carina couldn't bring herself leave the scene. Just the thought of her wife going into the angry, orange flames made her heart race.

"Alright 19, time to switch with 23." She heard Chief Ross say into her radio.

Carina watched as Station 19 came out in pairs, Maya and Andy being the last pair to emerge from the building.

The OB let out a breath she didn't know she was holding at the sight of her wife being safe from the fire.

She walked over to Maya, who was removing her turnout jacket. "Hey, babe. What are you still doing here?" Maya asked, graciously grabbing a water Ben handed her as she sat on top of a gurney next to Vic and Andy.

"I couldn't leave," Carina admitted, biting her lip, "I needed to make sure you came out okay."

Maya's gaze turned sympathetic as she reached out for Carina's hand and pulled her closer. "I'm okay. I promise." Maya said, kissing her hand.

"You're all dirty." Carina murmured, taking a wipe from a nearby bag. She stepped closer, between Maya's legs, and began gently wiping away the soot.

Now, usually Maya would pull away from the display of affection in front of all of her co-workers. However, she knew that Carina needed to do this, needed to know that her wife was okay and safe.

As Carina wiped away the last of the soot, she met her wife's beautiful, blue eyes that were shining in the sun.

"19, gear back up. We're on in 3 minutes." Chief Ross shouted, gaining Carina's attention along with the members of 19.

Carina refocused her gaze onto her wife, "You come back to me in one piece, bambina, sí?"

"Always. I love you." Maya replied, pulling on her turnout coat. "I love you too." Carina said, watching as Maya ran back into the fiery building.

•••

Later that night, when Maya crawled into bed next to her wife, Carina held on a little tighter, knowing that life is unpredictable.