Mason Shows Up at the Station

Vic sighed. Working the front desk sucked, but someone had to do it, and unfortunately, it was her week.

Nothings really happened during this shift, which was grateful for, but also bored of. Doodling on a piece of paper was the only thing keeping her occupied for the moment.

However, that changed when she looked up and saw a man at the door. She buzzed him in, and took in his striking resemblance.

"Hi, welcome to station 19." Vic said with a smile, all while trying to ignore the obvious resemblance to one of their own, Maya Bishop.

"Hey. Um, my name is Mason. I was, uh, told that my sister works here. Maya Bishop?" The man said timidly, looking around the station.

Vic's jaw dropped. She had no idea Maya had a brother. "Uh, yes, she does work her. She's on a call right now, but I can see how long it'll be before they're back. Their shift should be ending soon." Vic offered, looking into those blue eyes she knew well.

"Sure, uh, that would be good. Do you have a bathroom I could use?" Mason asked. "Yeah, go down that hall and it's right on your left." Vic replied, pointing.

Vic watched as Mason walked away, then grabbed her phone out and called Andy.

"Hey, Vic." The Latina greeted, answering her phone. "Andy, does Maya have a brother?" Vic asked, getting straight to the point.

"Yeah, she does. But she hasn't talked to him in years as far as I know. Why?" Andy answered, concerned.

"He's here. And he looks exactly like her. Like freakishly like her." Hughes stated. "Oh. Wow. Um, what does he want? Is he hurt?" Andy asked.

"No, no, he seems fine. He just asked if Maya worked here." She replied, watching the man come back.

"Hm, okay. I'll let Maya know so she's not caught off guard. We should be back in 10 minutes or so." Andy said.

"Sounds good. Thanks, Andy." Vic said, hanging up the phone and turning back to Mason. "They'll be back in about 10 minutes. Do you want any coffee or anything?" The firefighter offered.

"No, I'm okay, thank you." The blonde man answered. "So, what brings you here?" Vic asked.

"My sister and I, we...haven't had a great relationship and I just...miss her." Mason said simply.

The two continued to make small talk until Vic heard the familiar roar of the station garage open.

No more than a minute later, the door to the garage swung open, revealing a stunned Maya.

"Mason." Maya said, her eyes widening, looking at her brother. "Hey, Mai." Mason said with a shy smile.

Maya launched herself into the blonde man's arms, with very un-Maya like affection. Mason wrapped his arms around his sister, holding tight.

While height wasn't something that Maya got, Mason certainly did. He was at least a full head taller than her, but that really was the only thing different about the two.

Maya pulled away after a moment, her eyes shining with unshed tears.  "What-what are you doing here? Are you okay?" She asked, voice full of emotion as she looked her brother up and down for any injuries.

"No, no, I'm okay. I, um, my girlfriend and I are-are having a baby and I, uh, I realized that I want my sister in my life again and I want my kid to have an aunt." Mason explained, watching Maya's jaw drop.

"You're-you're gonna be a dad?" Maya whispered, watching as Mason pulled an ultrasound picture out of his pocket and handed it to her.

"Yeah." Mason replied, his own eyes beginning to water.

Vic, from a distance, was also tearing up from this unexpected family reunion. She knew Maya had a rough life growing up, but to see it come back together was truly touching.

"Wow." Maya breathed. She couldn't believe it. Her brother was here. And clean. And having a baby.

Pulling them out of the moment, the door swung open once again, this time showing a worried looking Carina.

"Bella," Carina said, rushing over to her wife and wrapping her into a hug, "Is everything okay? Andy called me and said you might need me and, and-" she stopped, pausing mid sentence as she noticed the man standing beside them.

Instantly, Carina recognized him. "Oh, hi. Are you..Mason?" She guessed, extending her hand out to him.

"Uh, Carina, this is Mason, my brother, Mason, this is Carina, my wife." Maya said, introducing the two, placing a hand on Carina's back.

"It's nice to meet you. I can't believe you have a wife." Mason said, shocked at the person his sister had grown into.

"We've been married for almost 4 years now." Maya added proudly. "I've heard a lot about you, Mason. It's nice to put a face to a name." Carina said kindly.

"Name to a face." Maya corrected with a grin, getting a nudge from her wife in response.

Mason watched the interaction with a smile. "Mase, do you want to come for dinner tonight at our place?" Maya asked.

"Yeah, I would like that."

•••

A couple hours later, Mason arrived at the Deluca-Bishop apartment and knocked. "Hello, Mason, come on in." Carina greeted, opening the door for him.

Mason walked in and immediately the aroma of Italian food hit his nostrils. "Wow, it smells great in here. I know it wasn't Maya's cooking." Mason said with a grin.

"Heard that!"  Maya shouted as the two walked into the kitchen. "Sí, she is not a great cook." Carina agreed, watching Maya plate the table.

"So, Mason, are you staying in Seattle, or..." Carina asked as they all sat down. Mason nodded. "Yeah. Me and my girlfriend have an apartment not too far from here. We both work at an elementary school, so it's convenient." He replied.

"What do you teach?"

"Art." Mason said, looking at Maya, as if he was gauging her reaction. "That's awesome, Mason." Maya said genuinely. "Thanks. The place is, uh, also big enough for when the baby comes, so we'll probably be there for a while."

"You're having a baby?" Carina asked excitedly. "My girlfriend is 23 weeks pregnant." The blonde man smiled.

"That's awesome! We-" Carina started, before Maya cut in. "I haven't told him yet, babe." She said.

"Tell me what?" Mason asked curiously. Carina looked to Maya encouragingly. "Carina is pregnant, too. 12 weeks." Maya said with a proud smile.

"No way! Congratulations. Our kids are gonna be so close in age!" Mason exclaimed. The two main reasons for coming to find Maya was one, because he truly did miss her, and two, because he wanted his kid to have a family. And now, that was going to be a reality.

"I didn't even know you wanted kids." Mason stated. "I didn't, until a certain someone came into my life and changed my mind." Maya smiled softly, rubbing her hand over Carinas.

•••

After dinner, Mason decided it was time to get home. "It was really good seeing you again, Maya. I...can we keep this up? Do it again? I really want to be in your life again."

"Of course. I love you, Mason." Maya said, hugging her brother. "I love you too, Mai."