forty

(around a week later)

"hi! are we ready to order? or would you guys like some more time?" i smile.

"yes, we are ready, can i please have a burger meal," she starts as i begin writing, "just water thanks."

"yep, and what about you?" i smile, looking over to a girl who looks around 14. she looks down so i say, "that's alright, i'll come back to you.

i take the rest of the table's order while the mother scolds the teenager for being shy. i feel like saying 'anxiety is a thing you know', but i have to keep my nose out of it.

"she'll just have water." the mother says, pointing at the girl. i can't keep quiet, so i say,

"no food? why's that?"

"oh- she's not hungry." the mother sends a glare at the teenager. i just nod and smile, turning around and heading back to the counter.

life has been going pretty well for me. i turned off notifications for messages, never clicking on the app in general. i learnt that the 'hot chef's' name is matt, and me and him talk sometimes. i'm trying to stay away though.

i pour the water that is given to each table regardless if they want it or not.

i take it over to the table of who i just took the orders from. i place it on the table and send a quick smile to the teenager who looked up from her phone, seeing what was happening. she sent me a small smile back.

i grab the food from the kitchen and put it on the counter, adjusting my uniform. i take two plates and place them on the table, then take the other one, also placing it on the table. i turn around and hear footsteps behind me.

the teenager catches up to me and walks beside me. i look over with a confused look on my face.

"they sent me to get cutlery." she explained. i take my chance.

"are you not getting food because you didn't want to order because you were nervous?"

"how'd you know?"

"i know this generation, i'm not that old." i laugh.

"yeah- i have-"

"anxiety." i finish for her.

"wh- how'd you know?" she asked, grabbing cutlery and napkins.

"it's easy to tell from my point of view, i used to have social anxiety, but i learnt to ignore it, so i know the signs of it." i explain.

"how do i ignore it?" she asks, hopefully.

"fake it 'til you make it." i smile, walking back into the kitchen, letting her go back to the table.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

an

i fucking hate people AND MY FUCKING TEACHER SENT A NOTE THING HOME AND HE HAD TO TICK BOXES FOR WHAT I SHOWED IN CLASS AND HE ONLY TICKED 'OTHER' AND THE ONES HE DIDNT TICK WAS 'CARING FOR OTHERS' AND 'PARTICIPATING' AND 'LEADERSHIP' YEAH WHATEVER GET FUCKING I NEVER LIKED U ANYWAYS