5

Ami tilted her head.
The boy known as Ejiro Kirishima had been completely silent the few days she'd been in the dorms but suddenly he was active and social.
Like someone flicked a switch and suddenly he was completely different.

The teenager was sitting and laughing with his group of friends, joking around like he used to.
Ami stood there holding her tray, looking around the cafeteria.
The spot she used to sit in was occupied by a stranger. Her friends from general studies were jealous about her promotion to the hero course.

So she wasn't exactly freinds with them anymore.

"Hey! You're Ami right?"
Ami turned and saw a pink skined girl walking up.
"I'm Mina! Wanna sit with me?"
The Mina asked with a big smile.

"Okay."
Ami said returning the smile and walking beside her to the same table as Kirishima.
"This is Kirishima, Kaminari, Bakugou, Sero and Jirou! You probably remember them from class!"
Mina introduced sitting down.
Ami nodded and sat across from her new friend, sitting down right beside Kirishima.

"Nice to meet you guys!"
Ami greeted placing down her tray.

"What's up?"
Kirishima said with a smile and the other member of their squad greeted her.
All but Bakugou who scoffed and ate another bite of his impossibly spicy meal.

"Hey, I never got to say anything but you guys did super awesome at the sports festival!"
Ami said with a smile. She was finally here.
She was in the hero course talking to the class that blew the festival out of the water.

"Thanks but Bakugou and Todoroki really outshined everyone."
Sero said with a sigh, recalling his fight with Todoroki.

"Hey speaking of that I didn't even seeing you compete at all. How far did you get?"
Kaminari asked slurping down an energy drink.

"Oh..."
Ami rubbed the back of her neck.
"I was actually sick that day, when they checked for fevers before we started they made me sit out."
She explained blushing.
She had really been looking forward to the festival and she tried to hide her fever day of.
She didn't know that hiding sickness had been a common practice for students who still wanted to compete.

A few years ago, ten students passed out due to a sickness that had spread through their entire class.

"That must have been a bummer."
Kirishima said propping his head on his hand.
He could remember a nurse shoving a thermometer-like device in his face before he even got to the locker room so she could scan for a fever.

"It was! Especially for a general studies student, everyone wanted to show off what they could do but... I guess it wasn't my day."
Ami leaned Back with a pout.

"Not to be rude... But how did you get in if you didn't participate in the sports festival? Are there other ways to make the hero course?"
Jirou asked.

"Well my test scores in both the physical and written exams were high, I was only two points below the fortieth hero student that was accepted. Making me the first student on a list of general studies students waiting to enter the hero course."
Ami explained.

"Oooh so you would have been in the hero course if one person scored a few points lower?"
Mina asked.

"Yep, I got close but was knocked down by someone else."
She sighed.
"I probably should have studied English more... That's where I scored the lowest."

"Hey what's your quirk? It must be pretty good if you scored only two points under someone else."
Kirishima asked interested.
He'd always like hearing about a person's individual quirk. It was like someone's eye or hair color. Quirks were a important part of who someone is.

"I-it's actually kinda stupid..."
She said nervously pressing her lips together.

"Believe me, nothing could be more stupid than Mineta's purple balls."
Jirou mused, shuddering while remembering the student she'd rather forget.

"It's... It's chocolate manipulation."
She said turning away.

"You're right, that is stupid."
Bakugou scoffed.

"Bakubro! Don't be mean!!"
Kirishima said taking back his duty of restraining his friends behavior.

"No he's right..."
Ami said chuckling.
"It is pretty silly."

"But it was good enough that you placed high in the exam right? So it has to be kinda strong."

......................

Mai's staff hit her opponent with enough force to send him backwards.
He rolled across the sand and jumped up running back towards her.

After a week of being able to walk Mai's quirk started to build back, making an appearance. With her new found strength Alma concluded that combat training should begin.

The first week of that Mai wasn't doing well, But now her body found a steady, natural rythum. The Hits of their staffs and the moves of their body's worked together like a dance.
Mai's hearing was at an impossible peak and Alma had taught her to use it.

At the beginning of training her opponent was Alma, the woman had tied bells to her own ankles and staff to help Mai.
But now the blind girl could hear the scatting of sand and the disturbance in the air as her opponent swung his staff in her direction.

She spun to her left and hit the back of his knees to counter, making him fall.
She jabbed her staff down and he rolled out of it's path.
The angel she was fighting was being trained by Alma's freind that Mai met earlier.
Yahya, whooped and hollered at the man Mai was fighting. Lifting his tan arms in the air and waving them around.

The American man muttered frazes in English under his breath. Frazes that Mai could understand.
"Mean blind girl. That hurt."

He complained and Mai's mind easily translated the words. She tilted her head and got in position again.
"I'm not mean. You're just slow."
She responded dodging his attacks again.
She was light on her feet and quick making her a tough opponent dispite the fact that she wasn't at her full strength.

Her smell was enhancing as well as her hearing. Even as the man she was fighting slowed and tried to sneak around, Mai could tell his position by the smell of his sweat and the beating of his heart.
She swung again, hitting his side but he jumped forward and grabbed her arm throwing her over his shoulder.
Mai landed in a crouch and jumped up and over him before her staff hit his head.

Even though Mai delt the blow her eyes began to throb and the feeling of a thick liquid ran from them.
Her blood dripped and spilled on the sand, decorating it like liquid gold. Her blood had been drained out when she died and Aphrodite replaced it with Alma's.

Golden blood wasn't like average blood but it's holder had the ability to use energy.
An ability Mai had yet to unlock.