8

Mai grabbed the railing and barfed over the edge, spilling golden blood and stomach acid on the sand.
Her training had gotten harder to see how much she could do before the hit her limit.

And she hit it, slamming into it like a brick wall and it hurt like a bitch.
Blood came out her mouth and pooled in her eyes. Her stomach ached like she'd been kicked in the gut and a wave of exhaustion washed over her.

She stumbled over to Alma who put her hand on Mai's forehead.
"You're burning up."
The woman said sitting Mai down.

Unless Mai had a constant amount of energy to take, using energy to see more than five times in a few minutes was exhausting.
Put that and welding spikes of energy plus her quirk and she was a mess.

Alma gave Mai some of her own energy and then handed her a bowl of soup.
"You must eat food that provides energy often and don't overuse your own. Only use the waves if you're using energy from somewhere else or you'll be drained."
Alma advised.

"And probably die."
Aphrodite added from her spot next to them.
"Again."

"How'd I even die the first time."
Mai said gasping while sipping the odd tasting soup.

"You were killed by creatures known as Nomus, they are patchwork creatures of incredible strength and speed. They are created to hold several quirks."
Alma said dramatically.

"Huh... Did I win?"
Mai asked sipping some water.

"Well all of you died so I'd call it a draw."
Aphrodite said eating a strawberry.
"But you did great."

"So these Nomus... They aren't human right?"
Mai asked.

"Not anymore. Human remains are what's used to make them though."

"And other sciencey shit I'll never understand."
Aphrodite sighed.
"I miss the good old days when the pully was the height of technology."

"Okay grandma. Hand over your iphone then."
Alma said and Aphrodite gasped.
"What I'm saying it that it was a simpler time! You didn't have to worry about weird lab rats crushing you and your friends."
Aphrodite shrugged.

"So why were they attacking me?"
Mai asked.
"Or was I attacking them?"

Alma sighed.
"The school you attended was constantly being attacked by a group called the league of villains-"

Aphrodite snorted and shook her head.
"God that name is so corny-"

Mai could hear Alma slapping Aph in the back of her head.
"Anyways. One day they hijacked your bus and sent Nomus after you and your classmates.
You stayed back and protected them."

Mai nodded.
'Guess I was pretty heroic.'
She thought sipping her soup.

......................

"Hey Kirishima!"
Ami said stepping into the train after him.
"Wait up!"
She said breathing heavily from running.

Kirishima grabbed the door of the train as it started to close and Ami jumped in.
"Hey! Are you taking this train home to? We might live close together!"
He said as Ami caught her breath.

"That's cool! How are you spending your break?"
Ami asked.
The UA students were given a few days to visit family as their winter break.

"Nothing much! I'll just stay with my parents, probably visit my grandma. You?"
He said adjusting his scarf.

"I'll probably end up working at my parents store. H-hey you should come by!"
She said hopefully, with stars in her big blue eyes.

"Sure! I could get some chocolate for granny! What's the address."
He said and then shook his head.
"Wait! Just give me your number and you can text it."
He pulled out his phone and her heart skipped a beat. Her number! He was asking for her number!

......................

"Dodge!"
Alma yelled as Aphrodite threw rocks at Mai.

"What does it look like I'm doing?!"
The blind girl screamed back. Ducking and jumping away from the hard projectiles.
Aphrodite hurled the stones that sat in large baskets laughing maniacally.

Mai kept it up, listening for the sound of rocks flying through the air. Sending out small waves of energy.

"More Aphrodite!!! More!!"
Alma said and even Mai laughed, until a rock hit her shin.

"You're both crazy!!"
She yelled ducking again.

......................

Tenya Iida sat across the table from his brother. Tensei sat in his wheelchair eating the food cooked by their mother.
For the first time in months the full Iida family was sitting together.

But Tenya was pushing his food around and staring at it.

"Tenya you haven't touched your food. I thought this was your favorite."
Iida's mother said from beside her husband.
"Is something wrong?"
She asked pushing up her glasses.

Iida swallowed and glanced up at his brother, the man was also looking at him in concern.
His brother the hero.

"I-I have a question."
Iida croaked out looking from his brother and his father. Both of which happened to be retired heroes.
Surely they have an answer to his question.

"What is it son?"
His father asked in a gruff voice looking over at his youngest son as he fidgeted in his seat.

"I- how do you deal with it?"
Tenya asked rubbing his eyes under his glasses as tears brew in them.

"What's wrong Tenya?"
Tensei asked with a frown.

"I... I held her... I carried Rika when she was dying and... I-I thought we could have saved her but... Sh-she died."
Tenya began sobbing and Tensei looked at his brother in pity.

"I can't forget that... Everytime I close my eyes I- I see her there, I- I knew as a hero I'd see people die but I didn't think it would be any of my classmates this s-soon and... Now don't know what to do..."
Tenya sniffled and his mother grabbed his scarred hand in comfort.

"You'll never forget."
Tensei said shaking his head.
"It's impossible, I can still see the body of the first civilian I watched die."

Their father grunted in agreement.
"She won't be the last Tenya. You'll see several people die in your career. But you can use it.
Remember the evil that caused the death of your friend and use it as fuel, remember her when you put villains to Justice."
The man said and Tenya who wiped his nose with a napkin.

"Remember your friend when you protect others."