35

Having nightmares was bad.
But having nightmares about event's that you couldn't remember was arguably worse.
Mai's dreams were filled with her subconscious revealing that it did remember her past, but was only planning on showing the bad stuff.

First there was a mirror, Mai could see in her dreams. Sort of.
Her reflection wasn't her, at least she hoped it wasn't her. The image had a woman in a body suit that started at her jaw and ended at the top of her thighs, looking like a glorified bathing suit.
The hands that gripped what looked like a sink were covered in latex gloves that reached her elbows. Similar boots made their way above her knee and had garter-like straps connecting them to her belt.

She looked like a hooker.
A vampire hooker covered in blood with glowing red eyes and what looked like fangs. Mai's only clue was that this was her was the red horns and tail on her body.

Blood covered her arms, and coated every part of visible skin below her head.
She seemed to be in the process of cleaning herself, unhooking the garters as her eyes flickered between grey and red as her quirk struggled to shut off.

It all seemed so real.

The girl turned around and behind her was a guy. He had black hair that fell over his eyes. Green eyes, they looked hollow and empty. He was void of emotion and blankly stared Forward.
He had bites a blood dripping from his mouth as he stared at her.

"Go away."
The woman said in a voice too much like Mai's.

"Your fault."
He whispered.

"I know."

"You did this."

"I know."

"You're a murderer."

"I know."

"YOU DESERVE TO DIE."

She turned away and back to the mirror, pulling off her gloves emotionlessly.
"Not yet."
She said calmly and the guy limped forward, dragging a leg and stumblingly like a zombie.

"Right now."
He grabbed her neck like he was strangling her.

"I said go away Kai. I can't yet."
She said pushing him gently.

The picture was disturbing and very realistic, Mai didn't know who the characters were but she assumed the female was her.

"JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T REMEMBER DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULDN'T PAY FOR IT."
He hissed his voice disturbed and crackling like tv static.

"I am paying for it. In order to die I have to settle my debt."
The woman said pulling the other off.

'Debt?'
Mai wondered as she watched.
Dreams didn't make sense, but they probably weren't supposed to. Sometimes deep in the stories there are hidden meanings, only found by people desperately searching for something.

They can be interpreted in many different ways and used for many different purposes but in the end it's just your subconscious playing games and throwing familiar images at you.

The scene changed a bit and she saw many blood filled images.

"YOU DO REMEMBER."

"No I don't."
Mai grunted shaking her head.

"YOU CAN SEE THEM."

"I don't want too."

"YOU CAN'T HIDE, STOP PROTECTING YOURSELF. YOU DESERVE TO BE HAUNTED."

So that was it.
A hidden meaning. A small sign that may or may not be true.
Mai was protecting herself. Her loss of memories wasn't just because of her head wound, Because that was healed months ago.

She didn't want to remember.

"IT'S ALRIGHT."
A different voice echoed and took over.

"It's going to be okay."
It continued and Mai felt comforted.
A hand brushed through her hair.

"Please wake up."
It begged as Mai was coaxed out of her nightmare.

"Please."

Mai's eyes flew open and met darkness.
She couldn't see the newcomer sitting on the bed by her head brushing her hair.
"It's okay I know."
She whispered.

Eri's eyes were wide and filled with tears as she brushed her friend's hair.
"I get bad dreams to Maigi, it's okay."
She sniffled.

"Eri?"
Mai pulled herself up and reached for her face, her hands touched the small scared child and felt her trembling.
"Hey I'm sorry Eri."
Mai whispered, hugging Eri as the small girl whimpered. She was scared for Mai.
Mai was tough and strong.

What was scary enough to make her cry? Eri cried a lot, and had many scary dreams.
But why was Mai scared.

The poor girl didn't understand, but she realized that Mai was upset.
She came into Mai's room because she couldn't sleep, only to find the older girl whimpering and crying under her covers. She did what Aizawa and Mic did when Eri had a bad dream.

"N-no... Please don't be sad Maigi."
Eri asked.

Mai and Eri laid under the covers, Eri curled by Mai's chest and Mai had her arms wrapped protectively around her.
After a few minutes Eri finally spoke.

"There's a guy sleeping in the hall by your door. I stepped on her face on my way in."

'Fuck.'