CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR

DID YOU JUST TELL ME YOU LOVE ME?
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

DID YOU JUST TELL ME YOU LOVE ME?✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"Your first Slug Club dinner, how exciting," Seraphina smirked at Regulus when he descended the stairs from the boys dormitory, dressed for the dinner they were about to attend. "I wish I had a camera so that I could capture the moment."

"Sometimes I wonder why I tolerate your obnoxious presence in my life," Regulus rolled his eyes at her.

"Because you love me and I am the only fun thing in your life," Sera shrugged with a smile on her face. "Are you ready to go?"

"Let us get this over with," Regulus said. He most certainly was not looking forward to having to spend an entire dinner in the presence of ill-mannered idiots that Slughorn had deemed worthy of being in his club. "How much time do these things usually take?"

"That depends on how talkative everyone is," Seraphina said. "Some idiots don't seem to know that no one wants to hear a twenty minute monologue about their accomplished family members. Three courses can either take one hour, or five. Maybe we should have a sign."

"A sign?"

"Yeah, like if I kick your shin, that means that you should fake heart failure or something," Seraphina suggested. "Or food poisoning. Take your pick."

"Why must I be the one to fake it?" Regulus asked. "You are clearly the whiny one."

"Yes, which is why, if you fake it, everyone will take it seriously," Seraphina deadpanned. "So what do you think? I kick your shin and you faint."

"Or I kick your shin, and you faint," Regulus retorted.

"I don't think I can convincingly play unconscious," Seraphina said. "There is too much life in me. Whereas your personality-"

"If you are planning on telling me that I have the personality of someone who is unconscious, I suggest you try another way of convincing me to help you," Regulus warned her just as they reached Slughorn's office.

"I was not going to say those exact words," Seraphina muttered just as they entered.

"Ah, Miss. Weasley, Mr. Black, welcome, welcome," Slughorn exclaimed jovially from the table where a majority of the Slug Club were already seated.

"Good evening, Professor," Regulus greeted politely while Seraphina just smiled.

"You stole my line," Seraphina whispered to him as they walked over to sit down.

"What line?"

"'Good evening, Professor'. That line," Seraphina deadpanned.

"That's the most basic form of greeting," Regulus looked at her like she was brainless.

"Exactly," Seraphina narrowed her eyes at him. "I am the basic one here. Don't you have some fancy French way to greet people?"

"​​Salazar, donne-moi la force," Regulus muttered to himself as he pulled out her chair like a true gentleman.

"You said something with Salazar and strength, didn't you?" Sera asked him as she sat down and he sat down beside her. She smiled proudly, "Am I a French-genius or what?"

"Honnêtement, je ne sais pas ce que vous êtes," Regulus told her with a roll of his eyes.

"I will not lie - I understood 'I'," Seraphina told him.

"J'aime cela. Je peux dire tout ce que je veux et tu ne peux pas répliquer avec quelque chose à moitié spirituel parce que tu ne comprends pas un mot," Regulus smirked and more than ever before did she see his resemblance to Sirius. That arrogance and smugness on his face was nearly identical to what his brother looked like a majority of the time.

But with Regulus, it was rare. Arrogance was something Seraphina guessed all members of the Black Family radiated without even trying. She had never met a Black that didn't have a certain haughtiness to them. But whereas Sirius's haughtiness was usually accompanied by a casual elegance, confidence and a smirk, Regulus was the master of looking apathetic and bored.

"Did you just tell me you love me?" Seraphina gasped, placing a hand on her heart.

Regulus rolled his eyes, "Votre capacité à comprendre un mot dans chaque phrase est étonnante."

"Okay, I get it, you speak French," Seraphina said, now a little annoyed about not being able to understand what he was saying. She couldn't do her usual teasing when she didn't even understand what he was saying.

Her knowledge in French was extremely limited to being able to count to ten on a good day - while completely butchering the language - and knowing how to say good morning. But she knew from Sirius that he had received French lessons since he was a child - a lot of the old pureblooded family's taught their children French - which meant that Regulus had as well.

"Non, j'aime ça en fait. C'est peut-être ainsi que nous devrions avoir toutes nos conversations," Regulus continued.

"You know what, if this is how you wish to spend the evening, it's fine by me," she told him. "I will just have to find someone else, more interesting to speak to." Seraphina turned to her left where a Ravenclaw boy she did not know the name of was practically stuffing his face full with appetisers.

"Tu disais?" Regulus asked.

"I do not know what you just said, but I am not liking this new behaviour of yours. It's very unbecoming of you," Seraphina told him just as Slughorn and the last guests sat down, and the dinner began.

Seraphina did not miss how Lily was looking in her direction almost through the entire dinner. All she could do was try to ignore the Gryffindor girl and thank the fact that she sat as far away from the Slytherins as she could.

While Slughorn was a nice teacher, Seraphina found these dinners dreadfully boring. Everyone there was either someone Slughorn thought would be successful, or that came from a rich and powerful family. Which meant that everything became a competition of accomplishments. Who had the most famous relative? Who had the most high-ranked father?

When Slughorn finally decided to call it a night, she practically ran out of his office. The only good thing about those dinners was the food. It was delicious. So when she had finished eating - which was long before everyone else since she was a quick eater - she was pretty done for the evening.

However, while all she wanted now was getting to her bed, it didn't seem like luck was on her side. Because as she turned a corner, she came face to face with two boys she had absolutely no interest in speaking to.

____________
I do not speak a word French and sorry for bad chapter, I've had writer's block all week.