CHAPTER ONE-HUNDRED-EIGHT

WE'RE GRADUATING TOMORROW
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

WE'RE GRADUATING TOMORROW✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Seraphina could not consider herself somebody who carried her emotions on her sleeve. Even amongst her oldest and closest friends, she sometimes attempted to hide her feelings. With everything she needed to keep a secret from her loved ones — her special abilities and heritage – it had become a second nature to remain a closed book.

But as she walked into the Great Hall for the end-of-year feast, even Seraphina struggled to keep everything together. Graduation was truly a bittersweet moment for the Seventh Year students. Many were eager to leave school and get out into the real world, but at the same time Hogwarts had been their home for seven years now.

Seraphina was one of the few who felt extremely anxious about everything coming for her once she stepped off the Hogwarts Express the next day. Ever since she finished her N.E.W.T-exams and the Quidditch season was over, she'd spent days simply walking around the castle, taking it all in one final time. As she watched the First Years speak excitedly amongst themselves – happy about completing their first year – Seraphina was filled with something akin to jealousy; she'd do anything to switch places with them.

The Great Hall was decked out in the Slytherin colours of green and silver to celebrate Slytherin's winning the house cup, taking it back after their defeat against Gryffindor the previous year. A huge banner showing the Slytherin serpent covered the wall behind the High Table and none of the teachers appeared more cheerful about it than Professor Slughorn who happily chatted with his colleagues, clearly a few cups in already.

"You do realise this is your last dinner at Hogwarts, right?" Regulus asked the red haired girl beside him, noticing how she'd been staring blankly at her plate for a good five minutes. Much like Seraphina, he'd dreaded this day for weeks since graduation this year meant him being left alone. He'd return to Grimmauld Place – to his life as a young Death Eater – where he'd be forced to live alone with his parents and for the first summer in two years, he couldn't even look forward to going back to Hogwarts and having Sera annoy him every day.

"No, thank you for reminding me," Seraphina glared at him. "I'm not hungry. But also depressed because I will never get to enjoy this delicious food again, which gives me anxiety and makes me even less hungry." Turning to the Sixth Year, she asked, "Would you switch with me? You can graduate tomorrow and I can return next year."

"Come on, Sera, this is supposed to be a happy day," Avery exclaimed, in much higher spirits than her. "We're graduating tomorrow!"

"That's exactly the problem," Seraphina deadpanned. "Trust me, you are all happy now but in a few days when you realise that you're unemployed and an adult all of a sudden without an idea what you're going to do with your life, then this," she motioned to herself, "is what awaits you."

"I think you should stand up and give a speech," Pucey snorted into his glass. Just then, Dumbledore arrived causing all the conversations inside the hall to die, causing the brown haired boy to add, "Oh, too bad, Dumbledore beat you to it."

Seraphina couldn't reach him underneath the table, so instead of kicking his chin, she threw a napkin across the table and it landed perfectly across his face just as Dumbledore cheerfully began his end of the year speech – which after seven years she could conclude were essentially the same each year, "Another year gone and what a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were before!"

"Now some of you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts — and some of you, who'll be saying goodbye to Hogwarts, tomorrow, well, I can only wish you the best," Dumbledore said, causing the Seventh Years to cheer loudly and applaud themselves.

When the applause died down, Dumbledore continued, "Now the House Cup needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Hufflepuff with three-hundred and eighty points. In third place, Gryffindor, with three-hundred and ninety points!"

From the lion table, some of the younger students clapped unenthusiastically due to their loss but the Marauders stood up and cheered loudly like they'd just won the World Cup. Standing up on the table, they swung their hats around in the air and started a weird choreographed muggle dance. Some of the younger students started clapping along and banging on the table.

"POTTER, BLACK, LUPIN, PETTIGREW!" McGonagall stood up, glaring daggers at her students. "Sit down." As the Transfiguration professor sat down – and the boys got back into their seats – realisation dawned on her that she'd just berated them for the last time.

Seraphina caught Sirius's gaze from across the room and he sent her a wink. Cracking a smile, she shook her head in amusement but broke eye contact when the headmaster continued his speech, clearly amused by the interruption, "On second place, Ravenclaw with four-hundred and twenty points. And finally, Slytherin with five-hundred and ten points."

A storm of cheers erupted from the Slytherin table as the students hugged each other and celebrated their second victory of the year. Compared to how loudly the Gryffindors had celebrated last year – when one nearly could have mistaken the noise they made for an explosion – the Slytherin's were more composed. However, that didn't stop them from showing pride.

Seraphina couldn't think of a better way to end her school years than the Quidditch and House Cup back in Slytherin possession. Somehow, she ended up being hoisted up in the air by Avery and Pucey who'd both climbed over the table to hers and Regulus' side.

"Not again!" Seraphina exclaimed, recalling the incident after her first victory as Captain when a drunk Avery dropped her to the floor.

"Don't drop her again," Regulus sighed in exasperation, a small smile on his normally apathetic face. He might be the youngest in the group, but among them he was definitely the most mature. And compared to everyone else who celebrated around him, Regulus looked like a parent in a room of rowdy children. "Her dignity has not recovered from the last time."