CHAPTER EIGHTY-SEVEN

BLACK, REMOVE OR HAVE IT REMOVED
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

BLACK, REMOVE OR HAVE IT REMOVED✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"The 14th Century Wizarding Economic Bubble burst following the Soap Blizzard — a volatile blizzard of soap that led to an economic crash," Remus read loudly from his textbook.

"History of Magic can be interesting sometimes," Seraphina sighed, "this is not one of those times." The two had met up in the library to write their essays for Professor Binns' class.

"You only like history when dragons are involved," Remus pointed out. "Which is rare."

"I also like Goblin Wars," Seraphina defended. "Or basically anything that doesn't involve an economical bubble bursting. But since I am stuck with this, I think I read somewhere that Gringotts was established shortly after this soap-incident."

Half an hour later, they had actually written a good part of the essay when the chair beside Seraphina scraped against the floor, making her eyes snap up from the words on the parchment to Sirius who sat down beside her. And he wasn't alone.

The other two Marauders followed shortly behind him joined by the Gryffindor girls. "Do you two mind if we join you?" James asked hopefully. "We also have to finish our History of Magic essays."

Remus sent Seraphina an apologetic look, silently apologising for how his friends decided to crash their study session. He also allowed Seraphina to decide whether or not to allow them to join their study session.

"Uh, sure," Seraphina said, moving one of her books for James to sit down on her other side while the others spread out on the empty seats. Being surrounded by them all felt so very familiar but also extremely strange. Both because it had been half a year since their split and considering how the Marauders and the girls never really hung out before.

All of them together like this made her feel out of place. Therefore, she chose to focus on her studies and allowed the others to carry the conversation. That was until she felt an arm rest against the back of her chair casually.

"Black, remove or have it removed," Seraphina warned him, not even bothering to look at him.

"Sera, do you have any plans for the summer?" Alice asked with a welcoming smile.

"Not much," Seraphina shrugged, returning Alice's smile because you'd have to be a monster not to. "I'm just going to spend as much as I can with Bill and Charlie. Who knows what happens after graduation, so I want to spend as much time with them as I can when I still can. What about you?"

"That's so sweet," Alice said. "I'm going to stay with Frank for a bit. His brother recently got married — as you might now."

"Sounds fun," Seraphina smiled, not commenting on Edward Longbottom's recent marriage to Clarissa Avery. After a moment of silence, during which the Gryffindors all looked at her, she asked, "Soooo — we are nearing the final prank of the school year. Can I get any hint on what I need to avoid doing, being near or touching?"

Sirius sent a scowl James's way, "We are not doing any final prank of the year this year."

"Yeah, I don't believe you for one second," Seraphina snorted.

"It's true," Sirius said.

"I heard that our Third Year too and then you clogged every single toilet at Hogwarts," Seraphina searched his face for any hint of deceit.

"It's true, we are not doing anything," Remus spoke up. Seraphina could have sworn she saw a hint of disappointment in his brown eyes. He never tried to trick her like this.

"Truthfully?" Seraphina looked disbelievingly between the four boys. "Why?"

"Ask him," Sirius glowered at James again, making Seraphina turn her attention his way. Sending the bespectacled young man a questioning glance he didn't say anything at first.

Then he shrugged carelessly, "I just think we might have grown out of it. We are Sixth Years now."

Seraphina looked like him like he'd grown a second head — which to her would have been less of a shock — and asked, "Is he under the Imperius Curse or something?"

"Ha ha, funny," James laughed dryly, hazel eyes flickering over to Lily who sat beside him.

"That's depressing," Seraphina stated.

"I think it's very mature of James," Lily said, smiling at the young man beside him. He immediately brightened, his previous frown replaced by an adoring grin.

Seraphina refrained from commenting despite her urge to do so. Lily's and James's growing relationship was none of her business. They didn't need her opinion. However, Seraphina's silent decision to not say anything came after her eyebrows raised in a way that betrayed everything she felt.

"What is it?" Lily asked, seemingly confused by her reaction. "James has matured a lot this past year."

"I'm not arguing with that," Seraphina said with a shrug.

"But—?"

"No but," Seraphina said, growing a little uncomfortable by Lily's intense stare as well as how the entire table now focused on her, waiting for a response.

"You're still a terrible liar, Sera," Dorcas told her bluntly. It was partially true. Seraphina only managed to lie successfully under immense pressure.

"It doesn't matter," Seraphina corrected her previous statement. Instinctively she gathered her books in a pile, making herself ready for an escape.

"No, say," Lily told her. "We want to hear your opinion, Sera."

"I don't think you do," Seraphina laughed in discomfort, pulling a strand of bright red hair behind her ear.

"You are just making us more curious," Marlene grinned, seemingly unaware of the red head's growing discomfort.

Seraphina considered her options. In the end she just decided that she had little to lose from telling the truth. While she didn't wish for James or Lily to be cross with her, they did ask. Therefore she decided to simply rip off the bandaid.

"I — personally — don't think James has to change the person he is in order to fit someone else's ideal of a good boyfriend. It's one thing to mature and realise that he shouldn't be a bullying git, it's another thing to make him feel like he needs to be some serious, rule-abiding ideal student. It's not exactly the definition of a healthy relationship. But it doesn't matter because it's not my relationship."

Picking up her pile of books and notes, "I will see all of you around." Then she marched out of the library with quick steps, giving no room for anyone to respond to her short speech.

"I hate to say it," Sirius leaned back in his chair, hands resting at the back of his head as he said, "but she is right, Prongs."