CHAPTER SIXTY

I JUST WANT TO HELP YOU, REGGIE
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

I JUST WANT TO HELP YOU, REGGIE✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"I'm going to be a Death Eater."

Seraphina felt like somebody had slapped her across her face when she heard those words. Too stunned to respond or even move, she simply sat there, staring blankly at Regulus. His words repeated in her head over and over again.

I am going to be a Death Eater...

A Death Eater...

Death Eater...

She was not a naive idiot. She knew that Avery, Rosier, Mulciber and Snape were all aspiring Death Eaters. Lucius Malfoy, who had graduated a few years ago, had been a bit of an idol for them and he was also a strong follower of Voldemort's views. Lately, Barty Crouch Jr had also shown a lot of interest in hanging out with the older students, or at least worshipping the very ground they walked on.

Sirius had also always expressed his anger towards his brother for not rebelling against the views, traditions and expectations of their parents. From what Seraphina had understood about Orion and Walburga Black, they were supporters of Voldemort's beliefs without actually being Death Eaters themselves.

When it came to Regulus, Sera had always known that he wasn't as open-minded as Sirius. She knew he was a pureblood-supremacist who believed he was superior to any muggleborns or half-bloods, even though he was too quiet to express it most of the time. Perhaps it was his discretion that made her so very surprised.

Unlike Rosier and Mulciber, Regulus would never hex or harass muggleborns in the corridors. Unlike Snape and Avery, he'd refrain from making comments about how they didn't belong at Hogwarts. As opposed to his brother, Regulus was quiet by nature and when the two of them hung out he had never expressed anything to make her suspect he wanted to become a Death Eater. It was a pretty far jump between believing yourself superior and wanting to murder muggles and muggleborns.

"A - a Death Eater?" Seraphina asked disbelievingly. Not even one of Voldemort's followers but a Death Eater. The Death Eaters were his most ardent followers and most radical pureblood supremacists. "Wh-why?"

"It's an honour-"

"An honour?" Seraphina repeated incredulously.

"I knew you wouldn't understand," Regulus sighed, almost in disappointment.

"Understand?" Seraphina said. "What is there to understand? I have to read every morning about muggle families and muggleborns being found dead in their homes - and you think it's an honour to be a part of that?"

"The muggleborns do not deserve to be wielders of magic," Regulus argued, not looking at her.

"But do they deserve to die?" Seraphina asked. "Innocent children are murdered in cold blood. What is the goal? To rid muggleborns from Hogwarts and the Wizarding World? Or to get rid of them altogether?"

"I – I," Regulus said, looking like a kicked puppy.

"Do you want this?" Seraphina asked worriedly. It would not surprise her if his parents were pushing him into it.

"Of course I do," Regulus insisted. "I must-"

"If you must, then you might not want to. Admiring Voldemort and his works is one thing and helping them another," Seraphina looked at Regulus sadly.

"My cousin Bellatrix and her husband Rodulphus, they are both - well-"

"They are all Death Eaters," Seraphina concluded when he hesitated. There were some people that every Slytherin knew was a Death Eater even though there was no actual proof. They made sure of that. Bellatrix Lestrange, neé Black, was one of those people.

"Rising in the ranks. It would be a shame upon my family, upon my pureblood status to not follow in their footsteps," Regulus said, holding his head eye and his face devoid of emotion. Something he had been trained to do since birth. "You wouldn't understand."

"I wouldn't understand?" Seraphina asked in disbelief.

"No, your family is not like mine," Regulus snapped. "You may be purebloods but nothing is expected of you. Because you - well - you know-"

"Because we are blood-traitors? Seraphina asked, raising an eyebrow in dare. "I know what some of our housemates think of me. And please tell me, if it's such an honour for you to become a Death Eater, why are you spending Christmas here at Hogwarts alone instead of celebrating this honour with your entire family?"

Regulus opened his mouth, like he was about to argue, but couldn't come up with something to say. "I – I am scared, are you happy?" he snapped.

"Why would that make me happy?" Seraphina asked gently. "I just want to help you, Reggie."

"No one can help me. I am all alone in this," Regulus said dejectedly.

"You were not this bummed yesterday, so what happened today? Did you find out Voldemort accepted your application to join his ranks?" Seraphina couldn't help but ask sarcastically despite the dark situation they were in. This was not a joking matter after all.

"My - I received a letter that my – initiation ceremony will be during this Easter break. I have to go home then," Regulus explained, looking down and then he looked up, grey eyes boring into hers. "Are you going to run and tell Dumbledore about this?"

"No, I'm not," Seraphina shook her head. She could never do that to Regulus. Telling Dumbledore would not bring anyone a step closer to defeating Voldemort, it would only hurt him. "You sixteen, Reggie, can't this wait? At least until you are of age? You are not even allowed to do magic outside of school."

"I don't expect I will do much work for the Dark Lord before I have graduated," Regulus told her. "Why aren't you running to tell Dumbledore? I know you don't support this-"

"You are like my baby brother Regulus," Seraphina shrugged. "I love you and I won't tell anyone you are a – a Death Eater because I don't want any harm to come to you."

Did that make her a terrible person?

That she would willingly protect a future Death Eater that might harm others in the future. That she couldn't hate Regulus for the choices he was making. If she got solid evidence anyone else was a Death Eater she would not have hesitated to turn them in. But because she cared for Regulus, and believed that deep down this wasn't something he wanted, she'd be willing to keep his secret.

Perhaps she was as wicked as her former friends believed all Slytherins to be.