CHAPTER EIGHTY-THREE

YOU CAN'T TELL ME TO DO ANYTHING
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

YOU CAN'T TELL ME TO DO ANYTHING✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Regulus Black could not claim to be the most sympathetic person. He didn't have much experience when it came to comforting others. Such affection was rarely shown to him by his parents; not when he was a young child and definitely not when he was soon to be a young man. The fact that they preferred him over Sirius did not mean he was showered with love and affection. Only that he avoided being on the receiving end of their anger and disappointment.

Before either him and Sirius started Hogwarts, Regulus's older brother had been the one to comfort him when he was sad. The one who held him as he cried after falling over when they ran around playing, the one who would calm Regulus down when he had a nightmare and the one person who gave him confidence when he doubted himself.

After Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor and Regulus into Slytherin, he lost that rock in his life. No one was there for him anymore. That was until Sera came into his life – or rather bulldozed herself into his life. In the beginning she was a nuisance and Regulus tried very hard to dislike her because that's what he was supposed to do. Despite being a Slytherin, she was from a family of blood-traitors and she was friends with his brother.

Before actually getting to know her, Regulus didn't understand why she was put in Slytherin. Sure, he knew that she was smart – she'd probably make a good Ravenclaw – but he considered her to be more of a Gryffindor since she often displayed signs of being impulsive and determined to a fault.

Then he got to know her and realised that determination was combined with an ambition to achieve whatever goal she put her mind to. Seraphina displayed resourcefulness in every single thing she did from Quidditch tactics to finding new ways to brew potions and a few times he'd even see her attempting to create simple spells.

And above all she'd do anything for those she loved. Not in the sense that she'd run head first into a fire without any thought but in the way she protected those she cared about and their secrets despite not agreeing. Regulus knew how much Seraphina had to go against everything she believed in when he told her about joining the Death Eaters.

She comforted him when he was frightened and reassured him that everything would be okay even though she couldn't support his decision. When Sirius left, she hugged him and let Regulus cry into her shoulder until he felt better. Seraphina was always there for him no matter what.

Yet Regulus had no idea how to make things better when he saw the way Seraphina was suffering. How she clearly rarely had a proper night of sleep. How she still flinched every now and then when people got too close. And how she'd zone out in the middle of conversations.

He'd tried but Regulus had no idea how to help her on his own. No matter how much he wished that he could. Pucey and Avery weren't much help either. The three Slytherin boys were at their wits and desperate times called for desperate measures.

Regulus didn't bother hiding his scowl as he walked through the library, following the sound of loud voices. It was a wonder Madam Pince hadn't thrown those idiots out yet. The poor lady had probably given up on trying to quiet them by now.

Hiding behind a bookshelf, he discreetly peeked around the corner to see the four 'Marauders' as they liked to call themselves sitting gathered around a table. Sirius had his feet propped up on a table, not appearing to study at all. Potter and Lupin were both trying to read their books while the last one, Pettigrew, just looked confused.

Taking a deep breath, gathering up some courage, Regulus walked around the corner and strode over towards the table. Without a word, he pulled out an empty chair and sat down. The mood at the table died within a second and then four pairs of eyes were on him: three pairs in confusion and the last one glaring.

"What are you doing here?" Sirius asked, all traces of happiness gone from his face.

"Clearly for the splendid company," Regulus drawled, scoffing at his brother's attitude. It wasn't like he wanted to be there either. "Now I am going to talk, you four will listen-"

"You can't tell me to do anything-"

"It's about Seraphina," Regulus announced and he noticed how his brother's demeanour instantly changed. The hostility in his eyes was replaced by concern and Regulus used his brother's silence to continue. "I don't want to speak with you anymore than you want to speak with me, Sirius. So I will tell you something. Nothing more, nothing less."

"What about Sephy?" Potter asked suspiciously. "Has something happened?"

"She doesn't sleep well," Regulus told them. "First it started with her not sleeping through the night but lately she doesn't even bother going to bed some days. And I don't know how to help her."

"Why isn't she sleeping?" Lupin wondered.

Regulus bit the inside of cheek, "That's beside the point-"

"You know something," Sirius said, being able to read his baby brother's expression. For some reason, Regulus looked guilty almost. "What happened?" When Regulus only stared at his older brother blankly, the older Black's eyes to narrow even more, "Regulus, I swear, if your little friends did something to her-"

"You will have to talk to Sera about this," Regulus interrupted him. He wasn't about to spill all of her secrets. "It's not my place to tell you. The only reason I am telling you this much is because Pucey, Avery and I don't know what to do to help her. You four have known her longer." Standing up, he said, "But let's say that Rosier being kicked off the team was not without reason."

Then Regulus walked away. The next day, everyone at Hogwarts was talking about how Evan Rosier somehow ended up in the Hospital Wing after drinking Polyjuice Potion containing some kind of frog mucus which turned him into some sort of frog hybrid.

_________
It's finals week, so sorry for an even shorter chapter than usual 😅