Sun & Moon

Arthit's POV------

“Bachelor of the year, my foot...”

I grumbled as I opened the door to my apartment, closing it behind me with more force than strictly necessary.

You would think that it would be possible to meet someone who was actually interested in getting to know me, and not just the balance of my bank account.

With a sigh, I kicked off my shoes, dropping my keys in the small bowl on the table by the front door. I threw the magazine with yet another article about me, next to it even as I loosened my tie. I walked to the kitchen, grabbing a can of beer from the fridge before heading to my room. I took a long swig from it then put it down as I contemplated whether to order a pizza or something, or simply skip dinner altogether. I most definitely wasn’t in the mood to go out, tonight of all nights.

On Valentine’s Day.

Unbuttoning my shirt, I kept up a steady tirade in my head about all the wrongs I felt I had been dealt. It wasn’t my fault that people couldn’t see beyond the dollar signs in their eyes. Since I had gotten my inheritance from My Grandpa Arthur, every woman – or man, I wasn’t particularly picky in that respect, I had met, had been after one thing and one thing only......

MONEY....

Well, okay, two things.

Money and Fame.

Because, unfortunately for me, I had been placed squarely in the spotlight as soon as I went from just Arthit to 'Arthit Rojnapat', heir of the Rojnapat fortune. My father, Aroon, had changed his name to distance himself from the family, in hopes of giving me a chance at a normal life. I hadn’t even known I had grandparents still living when I had gotten a summon to New York to visit my grandfather at his deathbed.

Everything had changed after that visit, and even eight years later, I still wasn’t sure whether it had been for the better or worse. There had been very few friends who had stuck with me through all the turmoil that came with the sudden and drastic changes in my life, but I knew I could count on every one of them.

With a sigh, I pulled on my pajama pants, having been so lost in thought that I hadn’t even been consciously aware of undressing. Finishing off my beer, I decided to grab another and just go read a book or something. I didn’t have anything better to do tonight.

Not like I had a date or anyone even worth the trouble of going after.

I had just walked into the hallway when the doorbell rang. I frowned, wondering who it could possibly be for the guard not to announce them first. Checking the peephole didn’t get me any the wiser, as all I could see were red roses. When I opened the door, I was greeted by Mark, the gaurd himself, holding up a huge bouquet of blood-red roses.... and by huge, I mean he had to hold onto it with both hands.

Quirking my eyebrow, I couldn’t quite keep from grinning as I said,

“Why, Mark, you didn’t have to do that. A simple 'Have a nice Evening' would have sufficed”

Mark chuckled, handing over the bouquet as he said,

“Sorry, sir, but these came just now with specific instructions to be delivered to you at once. Also…”

He put his hand in his inner pocket and fished out a bright, white envelope, which he handed to me.

“I was asked to give you this....”

He paused, eying the roses I was now awkwardly cradling in my arm, then said,

“Someone sure does love you deeply, Mr. Rojnapat, sir. I have never seen so many roses in one bouquet in my life”