Chapter 1: Wolf Moon

Chapter Song: Feel the Same by Battle Tapes

"You've got to be kidding me." I bluntly stated as I gawked at the two boys hovering over my bed eagerly ready to leave the house. "You woke me up for this?"  

"Shhhh! You're gonna wake up mom." Scott McCall whispered in a panic. 

"Hayley come on! They only found half of the body!" Stiles Stilinski cried. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes as I glanced over to the alarm clock on my bedside table. 

"It's like 1 AM! We've got school in the morning." I reminded. 

"Yes, so what better way to end the break than looking for a dead body?"

"Maybe by, I don't know, sleeping!?" I retorted, raising a brow at the two. Stiles glared right back at me. "God I hate you both so much." I groaned, rolling my eyes. Looking to each other with wide smiles, the two boys turned back to me and pulled me out of the comfort of my own bed.

☾☾☾

Cold wind slapped my cheeks as I trekked through the woods, my brother and Stiles at my side. I pointed my flashlight down, shining the light back and forth as I struggled to not trip on the piles of wet leaves and branches. 

"I can't believe we're doing this." I stated dryly.

"You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town. Besides, it's our last night of freedom." Stiles went on, reminding us how our vacation from school had officially ended. 

"I was trying to get a good night's sleep for practice tomorrow." Scott noted, hoping to actually play on the Lacrosse team this year.

"Right," Stiles dragged on, "'cause sitting on the bench is such a grueling effort." Stiles  sarcastically spat.

"Hey." Scott frowned, looking over to me to come to his defense. 

"Don't look at me, he's got a point." I defended.

"But really, I'm playing this year. In fact, I'm going to make starting lineup." He proudly said. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep myself from bursting out laughing. In my defense, it was a laughable statement. Scott was bad at lacrosse. So bad I wasn't sure how the team kept him on. He was severely asthmatic, couldn't run five feet without stopping, and got hit with the ball more times than he ever caught it.

"That's the spirit. Everyone should have a dream. Even a pathetically unrealistic one." Stiles oh so kindly supported. Scott frowned once more, feeling uncomfortable.

"Anywaysss," I moved on, "just out of curiosity since you felt the need to drag us all the way out here, which half of the body are we looking for?"

"Huh. I didn't even think about that." Stiles paused.

"And what if whoever killed the girl is still out here?" Scott wondered.

"Also something I didn't think about." My eyes rolled at Stiles' reply. This was a waste of time.

"Comforting to know you've planned this out with your usual attention to detail." Scott sarcastically commented.

"If we get killed I'm blaming you." I added. Scott took a puff of his inhaler as Stiles suddenly raced off without warning. 

"Seriously?" I muttered, throwing my hands up as I looked at Scott. Scott shrugged as we rushed to catch up with our overly excited friend. Once we caught up to Stiles, we found him lying on his stomach and he pulled us both to the ground and pointed his flashlight forward.