Chapter Twenty Seven: Party Guessed (Part 2)

Chapter Song: Hallucinogenics (Vallis Alps Remix) by Matt Maeson

☾☾☾

The tip of my finger pressed against the doorbell of Lydia's elaborate brick home. I bounced on the balls of my heels as cold air nipped at my bare legs. I eagerly awaited Lydia to open the door as Stiles continuously pressed Lydia's present against my back. He couldn't help it—he was having trouble holding it being that it was half the size of a car.

"I still don't understand why you had to get her something so big." I muttered. 

"Because it's Lydia." Stiles elaborated. "I've got about 4 more gifts at my place. She needs the perfect present."

"You are so whipped." I shook my head. The wooden door finally swung open, revealing Lydia standing in her first outfit of the night holding a tray of stem-less wine glasses. The red head raised a brow, staring past me at the gigantic present in Stiles grasp. 

"Happy birthday!" Stiles and I happily shouted. He shook his gigantic wrapped gift as I held up a small gift bag. I entered the home while Stiles struggled to get his over sized present through the door.

"Coming in." He alerted, unable to properly get the box through the door. Lydia and I glared at him, wondering if he'd figure out he'd be unable to fit it through the doorway. "Hayls, can you—you don't—can you just grab that side maybe?" Stiles struggled, heaving his body against the gift so it would fit through the door. Once Lydia had enough of the show, she turned on her heel and strutted away.

"Don't forget to try the punch." She called out, disappearing into another room. Just as she left, both Stiles and the present came tumbling through the door and onto the floor beside my feet. Stiles groaned. 

"Stiles, what are you doing? Get up." I nudged him with my heel.

☾☾☾

"Have you seen Jackson anywhere?" Stiles asked Scott as he finally joined back up with us in one of the hallways. 

"No. Seen Allison?" Scott wondered.

"No, but we should probably tell her what we found." Stiles suggested.

"Which is what exactly? I'm still a little confused." I admitted.

"We figured out it has something to do with water." 

"We knew that, Stiles. For weeks now. " I cordially reminded. 

"Yeah, but all the victims were on the swim team."

"So whoever's controlling the Kanima hates the swim team." Scott finalized.

"Hated the swim team." Stiles corrected. "Specifically the 2006 swim team. So maybe a teacher, or another student back then. I mean, who are we missing? Who haven't we thought of?" Stiles mused as we stepped outside into the backyard. My brows furrowed as I looked around the yard. It almost looked like a typical Lydia Martin birthday party. It was decorated with lights hanging from roof to roof and more tangled around the many columns. Bouquets of balloons were scattered here and there. Music played lightly over the speakers. There was also a drink fountain circled by tons of plastic cups. It had everything. Almost everything.

Everything except the guests. 

It was a rare sight. A Lydia Martin birthday party not being packed to the rafters with people? It was always the hottest event of the year. Now you could count the attendees on one hand.